Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Is testing differnt loads/bullets in the same animal worth wild?
#1
Ok, so you shoot a hog (to big to eat) in the head. And you notice you brought along 5 different of your favorite hunting loads all with different bullets. You drag him off about 75 yards and then shoot him twice with the each load. You repeat 5 times, trying to get a feel for expansion and penetration with each load. The goal is trying to find the "best" bullet. Is this antidotal evidence any real value? Problem being after first 2 loads you gotta shift aiming point.
Reply
#2
I think it would be hard to get any real consistency because of shifting aiming point. Mainly cause of different thickness of skin, meat, fat, bone. Even the same bullet would come out differently. I feel the only real comparison would be in identical controlled substance, such as ballistic gel or possibly water.
Reply
#3
I believe that Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat has done similar bullet testing on large dead hogs. It should provide some helpful insight regarding bullet performance.

No hogs in my area (yet), so I get a feel for performance of a particular bullet on deer and / or bear, test the same bullet in water jugs, then test other bullets in water jugs to compare.

I doubt that either method gives truly definitive results, especially regarding the shock effect on a live animal, but perhaps still helpful to some degree.
Drifter
Reply
#4
I seem to remember reading about the Strasbourg tests on live goats, cant do that anymore.

I'm always interested in autopsies on dead game.

Prop that SOB up and see what your bullets can do. It would take a few examples to verify bullet performance, plus you could only shoot a few bullets per hog w DIFFERENT PLACEMENT w EVERY SHOT so go out and kill some more hogs, for science purposes.

Besides if you hate those nasty, destructive things as much as I did and shooting him a couple extra times makes you feel better then get shooting. I don't live in wild hog country any more so shoot him once or twice for me.

If it's too big for eating and some of your bullets have to be shot elsewhere because the chest is shot up already, you gonna make your son or shooting buddy cut that smelly thing open and dig around in it?
Reply
#5
Hm2-ummm how come so many diff. loads-I bring 1 of each for short range and longer range.
You should be all dialed in by now on just a couple of bullets load combos
I posted this before the idea of just using Saran wrapped past sale date ribs w/ ?? old meat inside wrapped in an old old leather jacket it will mimic a deer or hogs chest cavity Plus 2 feet of rib Length should be enuff to test more than a few bullets I reckin
Get to be pals w/ the local cub foods or ? butcher you have
He can supply some testing matl.'s Must be nice to have too many oinkers to use as target practice but in a humane way already a deady
Rock on hm2
Why lug a 250 lb hog to the target shoot zone when 1 can carry more target mtls in a few smaller pkg setups

Bigfoot the turn of century tests were also done w/ cows etc. Point blank .45acp-?? Yeah it was ugly yet much was learned Hey we can be guilt free right
Cruelty to animals must have been petas start right then
Cruelty is not cleaning them properly & not cooking properly for our last Century
Life on the planet is simple Something eats Something else Try to reside at the Top of our food chain
That is why I stay away from The Big Bears on this continent I would not trust any rifle against a Huge bear= no no no never

Drifter was some of that testing done w/ the 7.62x40WT ? I think it was. Glad I picked a hogginator new cal.
Reply
#6
I say do it. You couldn't draw any conclusive comparisons from it due to variations in material the bullets will impact but it will be interesting to see what they do.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)