Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My First 6.5 Build! Input PLEASE!
#1
Here is my parts list for my first 6.5 build.

- Mega billet ambi matching upper and lower
- Saturn 20" SS HBAR contour (1.00" under handguards, 0.750" under gas block to threads) Teflon coated and threaded either 5/8 or 9/16 (which is better?)
- wanted a Noveske SWITCHBLOCK but they don't have a 6.5 one so going with Seekins adjustable gas block
- Midwest Industries 12" Gen 2 T- series FF Rail
- Geissele SSA trigger
- Ergo Sure Grip
- Bravo Company Mil spec buffer tube
- MAGPUL ACS Stock
- Diamondhead BUIS
- Harris HBRS 6-9" bipod w/ Rota-Pod w/ Schuster quick adjust lever
- YHM black plated rifle length gas tube w/ pin
- KNS anti rotation pins

What I have not sourced are the following:
- SS bolt carrier
- buffer and spring
- upper receiver parts kit
- lower parts kit (preferably less trigger)
- thread protector (later replaced with AAC blackout 7.62 suppressor mount, when I have a suppressor)
- Mags

Please let me know what you think and if I am forgetting anything! I want a true 1/2 MOA gun that is not so heavy I cannot carry it for rare hunting trips. Saturn suggested I would want a medium contour with either a .750 or .875 gas block, any thoughts if what I am wanting is better or worse than their suggestion. In addition, they told me the wait on a barrel is 6-8 months. I want a cut rifled barrel that's why I am going with them over AA, but are there makers as good (or better) with less wait times? One thing I was also thinking about was having the barrel target crowned (suggestions on angle welcome) as I will be using a thread protector for now but switching to a flash hider for a can in the future, will this be any benefit?


Thanks everyone for all of your input! I promise pics when as parts come in and range reports!


Camaro2010
Reply
#2
camaro- sounds top notch! make sure the bolt carrier is the heavier weight M16 variety carrier, you might have to get a slightly heavier buffer spring. I would say the 5/8 muzzle threads would give you more options for brakes, etc. vs. 9/16. I have been using the JP captured spring buffer- love it! I'm still waiting on my 20'' Satern barrel
(10 months so far!) I have an older 19.5'' AA barrel right now that shoots great- out to 1000 yards when it's not too windy. I'm sure the Satern will be more accurate than I am! Good luck, sounds like you have a great build started!
I'm sure the more experienced builders will chime in and give you some more things to consider.
-mike
Reply
#3
For a spring try a Tubbs flatwire spring its only 20 bucks or so but i love mine. You can use a heavier buffer but it not needed. A regular one should work just fine. You might try Bravo Company USA for alot of your lower and upper receiver parts they have pretty good prices. I have a Satern myself. You wont be dissapointed.
Reply
#4
Welcome. Insist that Satern uses a spec'd and dimensionally-uniform M4 barrel extension. You can have a tack-driver with a fluted medium heavy contour under the handguards, with a .750" gas block journal. The 5/8x24 thread will allow more muzzle device options. That won't be too heavy to carry on a hunt, and will be great for target work.

I would say the most important thing to source and pay good money on is the Optical Aiming System, to include a quality mount.
Reply
#5
You might consider a JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring buffer assembly. The 'spoon-over-a-cheesegrater' effect is reduced by about half, and I welcomed that after I stepped up to the Grendel. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS-15
Reply
#6
Schwag173 Wrote:You might consider a JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring buffer assembly. The 'spoon-over-a-cheesegrater' effect is reduced by about half, and I welcomed that after I stepped up to the Grendel. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS-15

Yeah, I'll second that. It's a minor touch but a nice one. Makes the whole platform seem more "refined".

I still remember the first time I shot an AR. After hearing the scraping of the spring inside the buffer I was sure the rifle was broken somehow. I had little experience with firearms back then (other than the single-shot lever-action .22LR Ithacagun that my dad bought for me). I was also convinced my first AR was defective because there was a hole in the barrel!
Reply
#7
Take a look at an SSA-E trigger-I have two and really like them, and pull is a bit better than SSA. Also have one of their National Match adjustable triggers, but they're a bit pricey. Also, and someone may jump in here, but the trigger pins on all Geissele triggers may be to a higher tolerance than the KNS pins and you may be spending for something you may not need. The G pins are also grooved to retain the spring legs and shouldn't move enough to affect anything. Small potatoes, but you could spend the coin on a sling or other detail. Other than that, sounds like an excellent build. Post up when done...and welcome aboard.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)