Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Templar Custom - Delivered!
#1
Just thought I would post my Grendel. As some might remember I ended up returning a Sabre upper that had some machining marks in the barrel. I ordered a new upper from Bob Reynolds. I gave him some pretty tough specs to hit, but be said he would do it, and he did. I wanted a sub 5 lb upper, with a 22" tube, and it better shoot. I wanted a hunting gun, and keeping velocity up was important to me. It started as a Bartlien barrel blank that Bob finished and chambered in 6.5 G, and has a Templar titanium brake on it the "TT Mickey", and a Templar Race Rail handguard. I put the lower together from a Palmetto lower and parts kit, a SSAE trigger and an Ace stock. The whole gun, less scope comes in at just over 7 lbs.

So how does it shoot? Pretty darn good. I just broke it in and have only been shooting AA promo loads, the 115 gr Berger HPBT. The pic represents a very common group, usually the first 2-3 are in one hole and the next couple are about a half inch away. I guess sometime I should try letting the barrel cool between shots. Also I make no claims to being a 1/2" shooter, in fact I have never done that with 5 shots. This group was shot at 110 yds (100 M) so if you are anal, you could subtract 10%. The 5-shot measures .790 and the first three (lower right) went .140". I cant wait to load for it. I also really like Bob's brake. I had that Sabre gill brake to compare it to, while both were equally effective to reducing muzzle jump and recoil to near zero (I could see my bullet hit paper at 110 yds), after shooting the gill brake you checked to see if you still had ear muffs on, and said good bye to your friends sitting at any adjacent bench. The TT Mickey is a whole different brake. It is actually quiet. At least thats my opinion. When I asked the guys that were sitting at the next bench over if my brake bothered them they always said "what brake, I thought you were shooting some little gun." I might try measuring the decibels, using my phone, but by all accounts its at least perceived as quiet, and really a pleasure to shoot.
Reply
#2
Ya gota love it when a plan comes together. Nice rifle and it shoots ta boot.
Reply
#3
Nice stick. Ought to shoot even better after some break in mileage. Bob is supposed to ship my 20" heavier profile upper on Monday-Ric Small's ought to follow closely behind. Appears we've kept Bob busy. Keep posting your results and progress with hand loads-interested in what does best in different profiles from same builder.
Reply
#4
Nice rig! Glad to see that bartlein shoots good! Mine was supposed to ship on17th but nothing yet. When did you guys order(salm and bobke)? Just curious as the wait has been torture!
Reply
#5
Yep, I waited FOREVER to get my barrel, I think it was 8 months. Not Bob's fault, just took that long for Bartlein to get a barrel bored. Bob secured several other Bartlein tubes from another builder, because he was sick of waiting. Just then his original order of tubes shows up on his doorstep. He gave me a choice of tubes and started cutting. At that time (3 mos.ago) he had a couple extra tubes, but I bet they went fast. Good luck on your build, I am sure it will turn out awesome.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)