Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
custom Google search engine for 65grendel.com
#1
I've noticed that many people seem to have difficulty finding information via the forum search feature on 65grendel.com. This is not intended as a criticism of this website nor its administrators, as the issue seems relatively common on many internet forums.

Thus, I've made an effort to create a Google custom search engine (CSE) specifically for our community here.

Try the engine on the link below and see what you think. For example, a few people have recently been looking for info regarding the conversion of CZ-527 rifles to a Grendel chambering, so type "CZ 527" in the search box on the link and see what happens:

[SIZE="4"]6.5 Grendel Forum CSE[/SIZE]

I'm not a computer whizz by any stretch of the imagination, but changes can probably be made to the CSE if necessary.

Wasn't sure where to post this, or even if it would be considered appropriate. But I've seen similar CSE's in use on other forums, so I made an attempt to create one specifically for us. There might be a way to add the CSE directly to the forum here if desired by the administrators.

Just trying to help...


ETA- Not sure if the CSE works for everyone, or just for me. So if someone would confirm whether it works for them or not, it would be appreciated. -Thanks
Drifter
Reply
#2
works great!! Thanks.
Reply
#3
Excellent! it works!! Thank you Drifter!
Reply
#4
Works on this side of the pond as well Drifter. Great addition to our site if the mod's can fix it as a sticky somwhere apropriate. For myself it has gone in my Grendel folder with other important grendel data.
http://www.vongruffknives.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Von Gruff



Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
Acts 4:10-12
Reply
#5
Its stuck! Neither Hanka or I are computer gurus, and we run the site the best we can, any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks Drifter!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#6
Thanks Drifter. You have saved us a lot of work.
Reply
#7
Glad it's working, and happy to help.

It appears that the CSE could be embedded on this forum as a Google Gadget if desired by administrators:

http://www.gmodules.com/ig/creator?hl=en...u1o/gadget

As an example, scroll down a little and check the right margin for a similar gadget installed on the Snipers Hide forum:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...p?ubb=cfrm


Meanwhile, I've simply bookmarked the page in my computer "favorites" for quick and easy access. But no doubt the new "sticky" should help newcomers to navigate a little easier (and help the rest of us find stuff too).
Drifter
Reply
#8
It appears that Hanka is the only one with the clearance to add gadgets, so we'll have to let him do it.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#9
It is just as well that we have those with varied skills here on the site. For some of us, and by that I mean me, if my rifle skills were as limited as my computer skills I would struggle to hit the proverbial side of the barn...from the inside. Thanks again for another valuable resourse.
http://www.vongruffknives.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Von Gruff



Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
Acts 4:10-12
Reply
#10
Another useful tool for the quiver-nice work, Drifter. Added bookmark till we add to site.
Reply
#11
Works great! Thanks!
Reply
#12
Awsome work to Drifter and thanks to all for making this a great site.
Reply
#13
Good work -- this will help find things we forgot about!

Thanks!!
Reply
#14
a great resource to add to the learning curve for the forum specific information.
Reply
#15
Does Google get anything for our using this?...I personally don't "Google"...
Reply
#16
BjornF16 Wrote:Does Google get anything for our using this?...I personally don't "Google"...

Because it's a free version of Google's customizable search engine, you'll notice the typical advertisements on the page with the search results. I believe they also offer a version with no ads, but it wouldn't be free like the CSE that I set up.

Of course, there is no obligation for anyone to use the CSE discussed in this thread. It's simply a tool that is now available for those who wish to use it.
Drifter
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)