07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
OK, as a quick primer I have already googled and searched on mags, so bear that in mind...
I picked up an AA Entry upper a few years back and shot it a bit, and it's sat in my safe ever since. I'm getting back into shooting after a few years away because I have a C5-C6 fusion last year which has really improved my quality of life, so I really was excited about getting back to using the Grendel. When I bought the upper I got a 30 round CProducts mag, so I was thinking of stocking up on a few extra's now, and I see CProducts is no more, and it's ASC. Reading the reviews on MidwayUSA between the ASC and AA mags, it seems they are both hit and miss in the quality. So that made me start looking at which calibers work with the existing 5.56 mags, as I've shot 300 Blackouts before and liked them, except I like the 6.5 bullet.
So, I started wondering why no one has made a 6.5-223, and I found the 6.5 PCC. It appears it works in the existing mags, and has velocities, close to the Grendel, albeit in the lighter bullet weights. This was very interesting to me, but in the end, it's a very new cartridge with very limited support. But, it's close to the Grendel and works in standard mags.
In the end, the question here really revolves around finding reliable magazines to work with the Grendel. I've read back and forth that some 6.8 mags work with the Grendel, and I've even read some folks posting that they get the Grendel to work in some standard AR mags. So, do we have any definitive answers on good/reliable mags or mag adaptations that work with the Grendel?
Thanks for reading through this if you have. Like I said, I've read over postings and such, but they seem to be a hodgepodge of contradicting info, and with the 6.5 PCC, I'm left looking at additional options...
I picked up an AA Entry upper a few years back and shot it a bit, and it's sat in my safe ever since. I'm getting back into shooting after a few years away because I have a C5-C6 fusion last year which has really improved my quality of life, so I really was excited about getting back to using the Grendel. When I bought the upper I got a 30 round CProducts mag, so I was thinking of stocking up on a few extra's now, and I see CProducts is no more, and it's ASC. Reading the reviews on MidwayUSA between the ASC and AA mags, it seems they are both hit and miss in the quality. So that made me start looking at which calibers work with the existing 5.56 mags, as I've shot 300 Blackouts before and liked them, except I like the 6.5 bullet.
So, I started wondering why no one has made a 6.5-223, and I found the 6.5 PCC. It appears it works in the existing mags, and has velocities, close to the Grendel, albeit in the lighter bullet weights. This was very interesting to me, but in the end, it's a very new cartridge with very limited support. But, it's close to the Grendel and works in standard mags.
In the end, the question here really revolves around finding reliable magazines to work with the Grendel. I've read back and forth that some 6.8 mags work with the Grendel, and I've even read some folks posting that they get the Grendel to work in some standard AR mags. So, do we have any definitive answers on good/reliable mags or mag adaptations that work with the Grendel?
Thanks for reading through this if you have. Like I said, I've read over postings and such, but they seem to be a hodgepodge of contradicting info, and with the 6.5 PCC, I'm left looking at additional options...
