Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Need help with repurposed Wolf steel 7.62x39 brass
#1
Does anyone know how to deprime Wolf 7.62x39 steel "brass"? I'm trying to reload some steel cases for situations where I'll probably lose them. The primers must be crimped in or something because I can't seem to budge them. Any ideas appreciated.
Reply
#2
they may be berden primed
Reply
#3
Look inside the case. If you see two tiny holes at the bottom where the primer should be you cannot deprime them. They are berdan primed instead of boxer primed like US ammo is.
Reply
#4
Definitely Berdan primed!

https://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-6-5mm-gren...mjwolf-500
Reply
#5
Harpoon1 Wrote:Definitely Berdan primed!

https://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-6-5mm-gren...mjwolf-500

Thanks for the help. That explains a lot.
Reply
#6
Not fully sure what you are trying to do from your post but someone on this forum pulled bullets and dumped powder on wolf Grendel ammo and then added their powder/bullet to the primed case to have “disposable” case for hunting situations
Reply
#7
lee does a tool for de priming berdan primed brass don't they?
Reply
#8
NDSwede Wrote:Thanks for the help. That explains a lot.

Just get a cheap, Velcro on brass catcher! They’re around $20, more for made in the US, cheaper for made in China, they fit virtually any AR and don’t effect accuracy!

Your time has to be worth something. With a brass catcher, you don’t have to waste time manufacturing or worrying about brass you might lose! Cool
Reply
#9
Harpoon1 Wrote:Just get a cheap, Velcro on brass catcher! They’re around $20, more for made in the US, cheaper for made in China, they fit virtually any AR and don’t effect accuracy!

Your time has to be worth something. With a brass catcher, you don’t have to waste time manufacturing or worrying about brass you might lose! Cool



Well said.
Reply
#10
If the only reason you want to remove the primer is to install your own, just try and use the primers as is when you work up your load. I have been doing this for years with my wolf steel case grendel with no issues at all.
Reply
#11
northdude Wrote:lee does a tool for de priming berdan primed brass don't they?

ND:

You ought to see how to deprime and prime for Berdan primers first.

If you can find Berdan primers at all.

Better to dump the powder and bullet and replace with a load that suits your needs.

Search under "Pull Push" and "Moscow Match".

LR55
Reply
#12
Thanks everyone. I was trying to deprime some Wolf steel range brass i found. I learned how to identify berden primers which they all are. Think I'll just toss them. If I want some throw away brass in the future, I'll buy some loaded 7.62x39 shells and do the conversion. Thanks again.
Reply
#13
This thread jumps around a lot. Is OP interested in repurposing Wolf Steel 7.62x39 into 6.5 Grendel, or is he interested in repurposing 6.5 Grendel Steel, into better 6.5 Grendel ammo? Or picking up fired 7.62x39 steel and running that? He's getting replies for all. If the interest is in purchasing cheap 7.62x39 steel, and utilizing that primed case into 6.5 Grendel, that's actually possible - though wasn't well received when I asked about it. here's a thread on it from January

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthre...to-Grendel

Bottom line is casing and powder charge in theory should work with a direct pull and replace with 90 TNT - in theory. Though you'd need to size the primed casing down to 6.5 Grendel to chamber. But depending on how the future goes, it's always good to have a plan:

one could assembly-line process by
-buying cheap 7.62x39 steel,
-collet pull and save the bullets for later resell, (people will buy anything, and these are .311 dia bullets)
-dump the powder via funnel into a separate already sized casing.
-Take the primed empty 7.62x39 and carefully apply lube to not contaminate the primer.
-Resize in 6.5 Grendel dies with the decapper removed (in general the neck-ball actually isn't necessary anyway). And yes, the taper will be a little off since not fireformed. I've found that doesn't matter at all in velocity or accuracy, or even reliable loading so long as not filling up large high-cap magazines with such.
-Wipe off the lube.
-Then run through a mandrel die (probably optional).
-charge with the gunpowder directly via funnel from a casing that just got pulled.
-Seat a TNT 90 bullet.
Good to Go.

A lot of screwing around. But if you want the absolute cheapest and fastest was to get the lowest cost good hunting and target round out of cheap and plentiful 7.62x39 - there you go. Obviously testing should be done to confirm that the powder charge from the 7.62x39 casing is appropriate for the TNT 90 in Grendel format, but if you examine reloading books, it's about the same charge of the same powder between a 123gr 7.62x39 and a TNT 90 Grendel.
Reply
#14
NDSwede Wrote:Thanks everyone. I was trying to deprime some Wolf steel range brass i found. I learned how to identify berden primers which they all are. Think I'll just toss them. If I want some throw away brass in the future, I'll buy some loaded 7.62x39 shells and do the conversion. Thanks again.

Wouldn't even want to try. Gigantic PITA not worth the effort.

Guys sell used Grendel brass from time to time and that would be your best bet.

Or buy some Boxer primed 7.62 X 39 and size it down, blow it out, and get a couple loadings before the primers open up.

A couple of excellent threads on converting 7.62 X 39 to Grendel.

Not worth the effort anymore because a guy can easily buy real Grendel brass.

LR-55
Reply
#15
One could only hope there was brass (new/used) available. Gunbroker has 4 listings for brass this morning. Anmoseek has 29 listings for Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo. Looks like pulling the wolf bullet, and seating your bullet of choice is very doable in our current component environment.

See “Sticks” post from 8/2017

If one had the motivation - Moscow Match **UPDATED first post

Many pages of replies but a good read on the subject
Reply
#16
I have some Wolf Military Classic 100 grain FMJ with bimetal bullets and steel cases. I bought a collet bullet puller and was going to pull the FMJ bullet and replace it with a different 100 grain bullet. I have 100 grain Sierra Varmint, 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 100 grain Nosler Partition. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time or motivation to actually test the pull push bullet process.


I have Fire Formed x39 brass and large rifle primer PPU 6.5 Grendel brass I use in situations where I’ll probably loose my brass. I also bought a Brass Goat brass catcher that is very effective on an AR-15. I think pulling the Wolf/Barnual bullets is a good option but not the only solution for me to keep from loosing quality 6.5 Grendel brass.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)