Posts: 354
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2017
05-23-2022, 08:11 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 08:21 PM by grendelnubi.)
Have a 22" Ruger American Predictor coming this week and looking for loads that work in a bolt gun.
I am primarily a hunter.
These are my on hand powders and projectiles;
8208, ar comp, blc, aa2520, X-terminator
123 SST, 129 ABLR, 100 Amax, 90 TNT, 120 NBT, 120 gold dot, 129 spire point
As soon as the gold dots come back on the market it will be my go too projectile. Right now I only have 15 remaining
Please post your load details that work for you
Posts: 331
Threads: 81
Joined: Dec 2019
I just did a quick search of the forum and there are quite a few folks using either 129 gr bullet and AR Comp/8208 in bolt rifles.
I typed in 129 gr ABLR in search bar.
Not bolt rifle experience, but I have shot a deer with factory SST in a semi auto configuration before I started reloading and had perfect a mushroom on the recovered bullet. You can do a search it too. Lots of posts
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
All bullets you list, and all the powders listed, are fine in their proper combo's.
Nothing will take the place of working up your own loads in your barrel b/c no one else has that exact barrel. I had a ruger predator and it liked several loads, in the gold dot, the sst, the 129 ablr's, 123 eldm's, ttsx, even the pro hunter which is not on your list.
Part of your plan will involve not necessarily the bullet you love, but the one you can get and like at the same time - supply chains and all.
Of all the rifles that I have now, and have owned over time, none of them used the exact load posted by another. They all took their own workup.
O, and make sure you use a chrony.
Good shootin', just like anything else good in this life, only comes with some work attached to it.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 480
Threads: 60
Joined: Oct 2020
05-24-2022, 02:38 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 02:46 AM by DIANEB.)
I've had very good groups with the 123 SST with 28.5 grains of A2520 COL 2.245 out of my bolt 6.5...30.0 grains of X Terminator with the 90 TNT...
Posts: 354
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2017
DIANEB Wrote:I've had very good groups with the 123 SST with 28.5 grains of A2520 COL 2.245 out of my bolt 6.5...30.0 grains of X Terminator with the 90 TNT...
Thanks Dianeb. That is the kind of feedback I'm looking for to get me in the ball park. I have a 120 GD aa2520 load that will shoots really well. What kind of velocities are you getting?
Posts: 480
Threads: 60
Joined: Oct 2020
05-24-2022, 04:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 04:23 PM by DIANEB.)
grendelnubi Wrote:Thanks Dianeb. That is the kind of feedback I'm looking for to get me in the ball park. I have a 120 GD aa2520 load that will shoots really well. What kind of velocities are you getting?
With the 120 ELD and 28.5 grains of A2520 and 26.5 grains of Benchmark I'm getting about 2480 fps...
Both loads are CCI 450 primers...
And the air temp was around 70 degrees...
The barrel is 22"...
With the 95 V-Max and 28.7 grains of Benchmark is right around 2670 fps...
I guy at the range let me use his chronograph for 15 rounds...
Posts: 87
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2016
Of what you list Ive had good success with 8208 and the lighter 100 gr. bullets.
Have also had good results with AR-Comp and 125 gr. Nosler Partitions and 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Im using these in the CZ-527 American 6.5 Grendel.
I havent worked with the other powders/bullets you have on hand.
Posts: 354
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2017
I had a chance to shoot the RAP today and I am very satisfied. I posted the results in another thread I had going when I was trying to decide what I wanted to get. Anyway here is the data. No load development for the RAP, just shot my workups for my other Grendel's.
https://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthre...ndel/page2
Posts: 43
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2014
120 Sierra and WW-748 and even I3031 worked well.
108 Lapua - Ar-Comp
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
CFE223 30 to 30.6 coal 2.285 with 129gr LRAB all shoot very well from my 22 inch barreled CZ Grendel.