11-04-2020, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 03:44 PM by mdram.)
i have been researching to develop a ladder for ar comp and 123gr sst
speer lists a 120gr with 25.3gr giving max pressure
quickload and grt agree with this
i see people posting 27gr loads or higher without pressure signs
i was thinking of a 10round ladder with .3gr increments
just wondering if 24gr was too high a start, or not high enough?
will be using new hornady brass with federal 205mar primers
edit: will be from an ar with 20" bartlein barrel, pf bolt, toolcraft carrier
Havent had my morning coffee yet so dont recall where we got started with our loads on here, maybe do a search for the early threads. But all of my 123 class cup-core bullets Ive found nodes around 27.8-28.2, 20-22 barrels. I think I started my ladders somewhere in the 26s. I cant speak to the Speer data, Ive seen it and well, it just doesnt fit with what I observe. Couple of other well known guys on here also do the 120 pro hunter around that load, iirc. I couldnt really get the gold dots to shoot so dont load them much, no offense to the bullet. At comp is my go to for the 123 sst.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Dont go to 29. Plan on no more than 28.2-ish, watch mv and case/primers. Some can get to 28.4 but I would not set my sights on anything above that. 29 will be a waste, youll have to pull them.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
12-31-2020, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2020, 05:07 AM by JTB.)
I load 27.6 AR Comp at 2.260. I started at 26.4 and worked in .3 increments to 28.0. 22 barrel 1/8 twist. I need to work it up again. I added a comp and my groups opened up a little. 123g ELD
FWIW - I worked up to 28.0 gr. AR-Comp with 125 gr. Nosler Partition getting 2550 fps out of 24 barrel CZ-527.
That was where velocity leveled off for me. I went past that to 28.2 gr. & 28.4 gr. - no velocity increase so I kept it to 28.0.
I too am trying to get to 2450 or 2500 with AR Comp and either 120g Gold Dots or 123g ELD Ms 27.6g I think is my stopping point as accuracy fell off and ejector swipes became noticeable on new Hornady brass and CCI 450 primers