Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Squirrel Daddy roll pin starter punch 4 pc set
#1
A couple weeks ago there was a post about installing roll pins.I own a couple of Grace Roll pin holder sets.But,they are pricey at $30 set.
Clem recommended using a T25 security torx bit.And that is a great idea.But,I like having specialty tools because there is nothing like having the exact tool.
This Squirrel Daddy set is USA made and was made especially for installing AR15 roll pins.It is $11(delivered)on Amazon.Comes w/4-3? roll pin starter/holders.
This set will do every roll pin on an AR15 complete build.
Reply
#2
Thanks!

I will say, if you're going to be installing roll pins in building AR-15's, you really want to get both types of punch sets to have smooth sailing. The hollow-tip for getting them started, and then the ball-tip, to progress them. You can "make it work" with just one set, or even with whatever you have on hand. You can do it with an inkpen and the back of a crescent wrench. But for smoothest operations, this is what you want:

Here's a set:
https://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Roll-Pin-Punc...ay&sr=8-15

[Image: 61h-z4yRTRL._SL1030_.jpg]
Reply
#3
All I have to add is DON'T buy Wheeler punches next set will be good ones.
Reply
#4
I have 2 grace tool sets of holders and a grace set of roll pin punches.They leave nothing to be desired.But they are a bit on the pricy side.$30+ For each set
I frequent a tactical gun shop that a friend of mine runs.They do builds and repairs.I’ve used his Squirrel daddy roll pin holders.And they work as well as the Grace tools roll pin holders.Maybe better.
The Squirrel Daddy are USA made.Work on all AR15 roll pins.And very affordable.
Reply
#5
If I do any more serious AR work I will be looking for the Grace or Squirrel Daddy stuff. Way things are going may be getting another lower the way things are going. Going cheap is NOT the way to go on small punches and starters even if you have to buy them singly. IMHO Bending three of them finally convinced me.
Reply
#6
Good point on going cheap. Cheap bends fast - real fast.
Reply
#7
lazyengineer Wrote:Good point on going cheap. Cheap bends fast - real fast.

And no you can't straighten them back out in a vise. They bend right back....ROFL
Reply
#8
My sentiments exactly on the Wheeler's.....
Reply
#9
Big fan of the Squirrel Daddy stuff... Quality made, reasonable prices...
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)