Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Have question about scope tracking
#1
I have done a simple box test @ 100 yards . I recently have seen some videos and test consist of measured lines and they are testing tracking while turning turret . my question is .. Is simple box test if enough to see if scope tracking is on point ?

I really like the 2nd test , but it seems like it might be time consuming to setup @ the open public range when there are ppl waiting on you .

I even thought about doing line test in my backyard @ 50yards , but I wanted to hear some some expert opinions .

Thanks
Reply
#2
My thinking is the longer the range you test at the easier it is to see if your scope is properly tracking.
Reply
#3
I have done the 4 corners test and used a grid board like often used in sewing.
Reply
#4
When it comes to measured lines, that's great, but in my experience, unless you have a really secure mounting system, it's a tough test to have confidence in.

If it helps, I had a tangential but relevant project to your question. I have a Steyr AUG, with a 3X scope. Funny thing about Steyr, they never published anywhere, ever, in any way, just what one click of adjustment actually means on their 3X version. If you go to an open-field 3-gun match, and are going to be engaging gongs from 300 to 500 yards, and really know your gun, your ammo, and your scope, you can do that with a standard 200 yard zero. But you really need to know your clicks, to do it.

So, I did the standard 100 yard range, moved it a few clicks over on small piece of paper fired a shot, and saw that it was about 1 MOA difference in impact (ish). And then promptly didn't believe it, as the arrogant Austrians no way are going to put a 1 MOA click adjustment on a Steyr AUG (Aug... aug... aug). Also, the AUG is a 2+ MOA rifle, so doing a couple shots, has so much error from the shot, that it can be very misleading if not careful.

So, I went back to the range, found the biggest target frame at 100 yards I could find, and just covered it with paper. I then clicked way over to various corners, tracking my clicks, and fired groups. Then I used Range Buddy App, to digitally analyze the groups, and give me center-of group, for 5 shot groups. From this, I averaged distance moved per click, from a broad spectrum of distances and directions, and averaged the results. Final result, 1 click = 1/4 mil, on a 3X Steyr AUG. Then I clicked it back to center.
[Image: 2l936lt.jpg]

My suggestion is to do something like that, because not only is it your box test to see how well you return to zero, it's also a great test to determine if your 1/2 MOA clicks (or whatever), truly are. (looking at you Vortex)

Back to my story, I later went to a match just like that, clicked my scope up to 400 yards knowing my ballistics and running an APP on my phone. Then, knowing my ballistics and the sizes of the gongs at the various distances, I was able to confidently and accurately just hold high or hold low, and exactly where, on the edges of the gongs all the way out. Result, one of the fastest scores of the match on that stage; and I did it with an AUG that wasn't even all that accurate. If I tried that thinking 1 click was 1 MOA, I would have been screwed at those distances.

Point is, doing tests of this nature really help you learn your gear, and that can pay off sir!
Reply
#5
I have no clue how to post video . sorry , but here the link on the test . fairly short on point

https://youtu.be/xvEKi9EZG-o
Reply
#6
I was taught the box method.
Setup a large pc of paper at 100yrds.Place a dot in the center.
shoot the center dot
Dial 20 moa up and 20moa left. Shoot
Dial 40 moa right. Shoot
Dial 40 moa down shoot
Dial 40 moa left. Shoot
Dial 20 moa right and 20 moa up shoot
You should have shot six holes (always having aimed at the center dot)
Two center and one on each corner making a box
If you connect the dots and measure,they should all measure pretty equally.
Reply
#7
What kind of scope and what distance are you using it? If you just want to know if a mil equals a mil and your scope returns to zero then the advice above is fine. However, if you plan on shooting at the extremes of your scope's adjustment then it would also be valuable to measure the error in the erector by shooting a bigger target using all of the adjustment.
Reply
#8
Max range is 1000 yards . if box test will be plenty for my type of shooting. Typically shooting 12" gongs . i just wanted to know because if lines test is true way to track , I would want to give other lower lines my scope a runs while @ it . thanks for your inputs
Reply
#9
I ran a box test on my old 65CM and DMR scope. I was able to get out to 940 with good hits most of the time. Fast forward a few year, and now I think the tracking test is the best way if you really want to confirm your data and know that what you dial is correct. This is one of the better explanations I’ve watched https://youtu.be/JoYP4BvjNJ4
Reply
#10
plt228 Wrote:I ran a box test on my old 65CM and DMR scope. I was able to get out to 940 with good hits most of the time. Fast forward a few year, and now I think the tracking test is the best way if you really want to confirm your data and know that what you dial is correct. This is one of the better explanations I’ve watched https://youtu.be/JoYP4BvjNJ4

I think you're right. You don't have to fire a single shot to test a scope. The downside is the cost of the scope rig. You can do the same thing with the scope mounted on the rifle but you have to be creative to keep the rifle/scope from moving. Targetsusa.com sells the rig Frank uses in his videos and classes.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)