Posts: 562
Threads: 28
Joined: Oct 2017
07-04-2018, 06:38 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 06:44 PM by Randy99CL.)
Mad Charlie Wrote:Good morning Randy99CL. Thanks for the info on your buffer tube, much appreciated. As far as the trigger was concerned, I think something was wrong with it out of the box, the first stage was long, actually seemed longer than my M1A, and the second stage was very stiff and not very predictable at all. I didn't even put my scale on it, I just replaced it with a "Battle Arms Development Special Edition Frictionless Adjustable AR-15 Trigger" (gawd, that's kind of like those Englishmen that have four names) from Brownell's. Considering the limited amount of shots that I have on it on it, it is a very nice drop in trigger. I can say that it sure seems to be a high quality assembly.
Good Morning and Happy 4th!!
I like Ruger and am a fan. This lower is my 16th, my first Ruger was a Single Six I bought new in '70. I've bought 3 new Rugers in the past year (two 10/22s) and feel that their QC may have slipped a little lately.
The trigger in my 8516 wasn't right at first and sounds like it was like yours; it was inconsistent and sometimes felt like it "bottomed out" and took a lot of force before it tripped. I took it apart, inspected it all with a magnifying glass and could find nothing wrong. Did a tiny amount of polishing (non-critical wear surfaces), used teflon lube, dry-fired it many times and it cleaned up and stabilized and now is perfect.
Contact Ruger and send your trigger back to them for a replacement. Or sell it to me.
I ordered a JP light spring kit that is supposed to arrive saturday. I'll only use the trigger spring and keep the hammer spring stock.
I don't know what to tell you as to the buffer tube. I did find out that the tube is a Ruger part; they buy the Magpul stock as a separate piece.
I swapped my stock for a UTG A2 model and the new tube screwed into the Ruger lower perfectly.
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Lastrites Wrote:Adjustable gas doesn't fix over travel of a bcg when dealing with out of spec parts. 7 3/4" inner length sounds more like an Armalite tube, your lucky with that amount of over travel that you didn't damage the receiver with the key banging it on the return stroke. A quick measurement revealed just shy of 7" on what I believe is a Psa tube.
You are correct sir. His tube is way out of spec if his measurement right.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
07-04-2018, 10:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 10:33 PM by Mad Charlie.)
Lastrites Wrote:Adjustable gas doesn't fix over travel of a bcg when dealing with out of spec parts. 7 3/4" inner length sounds more like an Armalite tube, your lucky with that amount of over travel that you didn't damage the receiver with the key banging it on the return stroke. A quick measurement revealed just shy of 7" on what I believe is a Psa tube.
Lastrites:
You got me pointed in the direction of the tube length and I did discover something awry. As a "test of concept" I made a 1/4" spacer first and stuck a little piece of cellophane tape, trimmed so as not to interfere with anything, on the lower, where the gas key was hitting. I then re-assembled and fired off a test round, yep, gas key cut the tape. Back to the lathe. Made another spacer at 1/2", re-assembled with new tape and both spacers, yep, bolt carrier has enough travel, another test fire. Did not cut tape, ejection moved more clockwise, bolt locked back correctly. O boy thinks I, we're getting somewhere! Then I started wondering why I needed 3/4" when you had mentioned "a couple of quarters". I took it apart again and got the 7-3/4 measurement. So, started reading around on the errornet and everything I found pointed at 7" as the correct inside length measurement.(normally).
If all it takes is a spacer and foolin' around a little with springs and weights, to make this rifle run right, what the hek, I'm good with that! I did order a JP adjustable clamp on gas block because I like the idea of fine tuning the system, and I do like the longer pull.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
07-04-2018, 10:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2018, 11:12 PM by Mad Charlie.)
montana Wrote:You are correct sir. His tube is way out of spec if his measurement right.
The measurement is correct, I even put on my good glasses and did it twice, in case the tape was hanging up on something in the tube or something.
As a framer in my younger years, on and off, and a machinist for about 40 years+, I have done a lot of measuring, I can even tell you what the tape says in numbers, instead of "clicks".  I personally built the house I'm living in. I know a good number of folks that can't read a tape though, mostly young 'uns, but a few older guys too. I am not offended, just clarifying.
I bet that WAS a surprise when you got smacked with the charging handle. :eek:
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
Randy99CL
Thanks for the info about the tube being a Ruger part. I also have been a Ruger customer for years. Right now I just have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and a 10-22. and this lower.
Love my Blackhawk!
As to the trigger assy. I will cheerfully sell it to you, I dunno what it's worth, make me an offer.
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
I couldn't resist and looked up the Armalite AR10 styled rec. ext. specs and it was 7 5/8" so I would assume your ruger rec. ext. is an AR10 style tube.
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Mad Charlie Wrote:The measurement is correct, I even put on my good glasses and did it twice, in case the tape was hanging up on something in the tube or something.
As a framer in my younger years, on and off, and a machinist for about 40 years+, I have done a lot of measuring, I can even tell you what the tape says in numbers, instead of "clicks". I personally built the house I'm living in. I know a good number of folks that can't read a tape though, mostly young 'uns, but a few older guys too. I am not offended, just clarifying. 
I bet that WAS a surprise when you got smacked with the charging handle. :eek:
I'm glad you were not offended, I sometimes come across that way, "much to my surprise" since my my intention is only to be helpful. In all of my many years "more than I like to admit" I have never come across a recoil tube that was too long. I always learn something new on this forum.
Yes, the smack to the cheek came as a stinging surprise.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
Montana
Evidently someone at Ruger can't read a tape measure...
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
Mad Charlie Wrote:Montana
Evidently someone at Ruger can't read a tape measure...
This is why I agree with Klem with building ones own rifle. All the variables of a shoddily built rifle are eliminated by knowing the parts and quality control of the build. It is also easier to get satisfaction from any shoddy workmanship that may pop up
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
07-05-2018, 02:17 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 02:22 AM by Mad Charlie.)
Well, I built everything else as far as the upper goes and changed out the trigger in the lower. Lapped the receiver, bedded the bbl, checked port alignment, gas tube alignment, etc. etc. Same as on the AA rig except that I assembled the lower also on that one and the 5.56 rig. Hopefully this is the only time I run into a long ext. tube, but you can bet I will be checking from now on.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Mad Charlie Wrote:Well, I built everything else as far as the upper goes and changed out the trigger in the lower. Lapped the receiver, bedded the bbl, checked port alignment, gas tube alignment, etc. etc. Same as on the AA rig except that I assembled the lower also on that one and the 5.56 rig. Hopefully this is the only time I run into a long ext. tube, but you can bet I will be checking from now on.
What sort of carrier key damage are we talking about to the lower? Any photos?
Posts: 562
Threads: 28
Joined: Oct 2017
07-05-2018, 05:07 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 05:10 AM by Randy99CL.)
Mad Charlie Wrote:Randy99CL
Thanks for the info about the tube being a Ruger part. I also have been a Ruger customer for years. Right now I just have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and a 10-22. and this lower.
Love my Blackhawk!
As to the trigger assy. I will cheerfully sell it to you, I dunno what it's worth, make me an offer.
Yeah, I love my Rugers. Currently own three 10/22s, one MKIII 22/45, the AR Lower and the beautiful 77/22 that my wife gave me for Xmas in 1985.
That trigger is their #452 Elite that they sell separately. https://ruger.com/micros/AR-Trigger/index.html
MSRP is $160, offered online for around $100-$120.
That's why I think the Ruger AR Lower (8516) is such a good deal; I got mine for $210 (+shipping and fees) and it saved me the $100 I would have paid for an upgrade trigger.
Just call Ruger, tell them your trigger is bad and they will probably send you a new one. They will fix it one way or another and you could probably get close to $100 for it.
Posts: 830
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2017
07-05-2018, 09:48 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 09:52 AM by Mad Charlie.)
Klem:
Just a sort of dent in the shape of the gas key, sorry no photos. It has definitely cut through the anodizing. I don't think that is a desirable situation
Maybe one day I will go through all the process of setting up to post pic's. Right now fixing rifles has to be squeezed in between other work, so no time for setting up for photos. Things that may inadvertently show up in the camera field of view might be things I don't want the world to see, like prototypes for instance, or what a total disaster my desk or workbench is at any given time, you get the drift. If I run into a situation that I absolutely have to show a picture of something to explain it, then we'll see. Besides, I am not a very good photographer :-)
|