07-01-2017, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if I'll be ordering anything from these guys again. Fairly mild or gripes all in all but still leaves me wondering.
I ordered six of their NTF/NTFE buffer tube kits first time around 3 out of 6 had very bad Interior finish with both galling and chattering of whatever type of bit they used to bore the holes in them. it's spiral fluted I CAN tell you that for certain! And they were off center by quite a bit.
Emailed and waited for a week or two. No response. Finally called on a day off and call in customer service was very helpful.
He stated he would just ship out six more complete kits and have them inspected before shipped. When I received these new tubes the exact same story, 3 out of 6 tubes had incredibly bad chatter, galling and surface finish.
Now the redeeming factor. I've corresponded several times through email about when they would get their Forged steel charging handles back in stock. And wasnt really given any answer besides the vague Industry standard. they are In production and we do not know when they will be completed.
Well the guy on the phone when I called told me "hang on, let me check on those" came back about 3 mins later and said I have some here. You needed six? I said uh-huh ya ya ya! He said gimme just a moment. He said he had six and shipped them out with the replacement buffer tube kits and basically shipped for free.
Now the bad. I received the charging handles and 4 out of 6 are perfect. Some have differences in the engraved DSA logo as far as uniformity. I don't really care.. function is pretty much the only concern here. They were clearly forged, where all the surfaces from the forgings process we're practically gone. Just a tiny bit of "orange peel" next to the DSA logo on top of the handle.
And again just like .02-.03" on the Inside channel that the gas key rides in on the very corner, always one side only. Hardly worth mentioning but I'm a huge fan of 100% clarity (which is why I'm posting this, not to "flame" on DSA)
The "palm blading" is amazing with extended latch handles. Although they are cast and look pretty darn cheesy and rough to be honest. These latches are build like tanks.. I'm 100% certian they will take anything I can dish out at them.
So 2 of the 6 extended latches (not the handles themselves) have flaws one was severely bent at a angle vertically at about 15° from 90° (vertical) so 75°. The other latch since they ARE cast had a raised bump that caught under the groove that the latch pivots in so when it is released and goes into battery is does not release and latch forward like it should.
And I wish they deburred these better. Some of the corners are kinda rough. A quick pass or two with a fine file or needle file would made a huge improvement.
I absolutely love the NTF finish's!
All In all I'm happy, I'm kinda disappointed I had to spend so much time fixing and sorting out flaws in brand new parts. But I s'pose that's parts of the game.
If anyone knows the Industry well enough, how are buffer tubes normally bored? I would think a 1" reamer wouldn't cost to much and would last a VERY long time on Aluminum. And leaves a practically perfect surface finish.
I ordered six of their NTF/NTFE buffer tube kits first time around 3 out of 6 had very bad Interior finish with both galling and chattering of whatever type of bit they used to bore the holes in them. it's spiral fluted I CAN tell you that for certain! And they were off center by quite a bit.
Emailed and waited for a week or two. No response. Finally called on a day off and call in customer service was very helpful.
He stated he would just ship out six more complete kits and have them inspected before shipped. When I received these new tubes the exact same story, 3 out of 6 tubes had incredibly bad chatter, galling and surface finish.
Now the redeeming factor. I've corresponded several times through email about when they would get their Forged steel charging handles back in stock. And wasnt really given any answer besides the vague Industry standard. they are In production and we do not know when they will be completed.
Well the guy on the phone when I called told me "hang on, let me check on those" came back about 3 mins later and said I have some here. You needed six? I said uh-huh ya ya ya! He said gimme just a moment. He said he had six and shipped them out with the replacement buffer tube kits and basically shipped for free.
Now the bad. I received the charging handles and 4 out of 6 are perfect. Some have differences in the engraved DSA logo as far as uniformity. I don't really care.. function is pretty much the only concern here. They were clearly forged, where all the surfaces from the forgings process we're practically gone. Just a tiny bit of "orange peel" next to the DSA logo on top of the handle.
And again just like .02-.03" on the Inside channel that the gas key rides in on the very corner, always one side only. Hardly worth mentioning but I'm a huge fan of 100% clarity (which is why I'm posting this, not to "flame" on DSA)
The "palm blading" is amazing with extended latch handles. Although they are cast and look pretty darn cheesy and rough to be honest. These latches are build like tanks.. I'm 100% certian they will take anything I can dish out at them.
So 2 of the 6 extended latches (not the handles themselves) have flaws one was severely bent at a angle vertically at about 15° from 90° (vertical) so 75°. The other latch since they ARE cast had a raised bump that caught under the groove that the latch pivots in so when it is released and goes into battery is does not release and latch forward like it should.
And I wish they deburred these better. Some of the corners are kinda rough. A quick pass or two with a fine file or needle file would made a huge improvement.
I absolutely love the NTF finish's!
All In all I'm happy, I'm kinda disappointed I had to spend so much time fixing and sorting out flaws in brand new parts. But I s'pose that's parts of the game.
If anyone knows the Industry well enough, how are buffer tubes normally bored? I would think a 1" reamer wouldn't cost to much and would last a VERY long time on Aluminum. And leaves a practically perfect surface finish.

