Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I Slipped In The Back Door...New Member, First Post
#1
Hello from Southern California! I think my application for membership on The 6.5 Grendel Forum was more scrutinized than my Top Secrete clearance in the military. Not sure how I passed either, but somehow I earned my secrete decoder ring to this great forum!

I have been lurking for a long time here and soaked up as much information as I could, before deciding that I needed to build a custom AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. As of today, I am ready for range time with this new tool. It has been a long journey getting this rifle built, but it was very satisfying. This started out as a moderate budget weapon, and I spent under $1,200, including scope to finish it off. There are several small items that I still want to change, including an Ergo large grip and Magpul STR stock. These items can wait until I get this puppy tuned up and rounds down range.
I have a few purposes for each of my guns, but this one is for mostly range and hunting fun. It should serve both purposes well.

I plan on shooting Hornady A-Max and SST boxed ammo, until I can save a few hundred rounds of brass to reload. I am curious to know any recommendations on components, but for now I plan on 123gr A-Max until I can find the right recipe. I have been reloading for many years, but never 6.5 anything. I just bought CFE 223 and will start there. Seems like TAC, 8208 XBR, and leverEvolution are other crowd favorites here. I am totally open for ideas.

As for getting out and putting rounds down range, that will need to wait for a few weeks. My 10-year old is stoked to shoot it too! He does really well with his AR .223, and is curious about the recoil and performance of a bigger round. I think he is ready for it, as he is a great shot and ultra-safe with weapons.

Well enough rambling on, I appreciate the great education that The 6.5 Grendel Forum has provided!

Cheers,
Tropical Vibe
[attachment=4674]
Reply
#2
Welcome and congrats on the new grendel. You will be very pleased with its performance and the recoil is very mild. Sounds like you have a good jump on reloading for it, I love CFE223 for the 123gns and Benchmark for lighter bullets such as 90gn tnts and 95gn vmax. Share and enjoy!
Reply
#3
Welcome!

Good looking build. What hand guard is that? I'm looking for something similar.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#4
Welcome aboard, very nice rifle. I really like CFE 223 powder for 120-125 weight bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. With lighter 85-95 grain bullets I have used Accurate 2230/Xterminator (same powder different label) and H-335 with 100 grain bullets with good results.
Reply
#5
Your 10 year old might be surprised to find that those 85 grain Varminters don't have mich more recoil than 77 grain loads in the .223!

Then, you can work the next small strp into 123 grain bullets.
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#6
you will like the 6.5!! welcome!
Reply
#7
Welcome to the Horde! Like others, mine shoots the 123 Amax with IMR 8208 quite well, and the Sierra 85 Varminter with H322 are an excellent combination, too.
Reply
#8
Welcome to 6.5G. Nice looking rig!!
Reply
#9
You might as well start saving to build another 6.5, your 10 year old son is going to claim this one! LOL

Welcome
Reply
#10
Thanks for the warm welcome, I had a feeling that the Grendel community is first class.

As for reloading, I can’t wait to work up a few recipes of my own. You all have provided a solid base of great fundamental information and suggestions. CFE is new to me, and I trust that it’s really good for the 123gr A-Max rounds. This is why I will start with it.

The handguard is: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2545182...uctFinding

Mine is the Rifle length.
I will be back with a range report, as I hope it dissipates heat well. I don’t like gloves, and really don’t want to wrap the handguard with anything.

I am stoked to be a part of this forum, and look forward to participating with some of my own information and test results soon!

Cheers,
Tropical Vibe
Reply
#11
Tropical,


Welcome, I am a noob. But have 2 Grendel builds under my belt. I am also from soCal. Welcome, A2
Reply
#12
Tropical,


What barrel are you running? A2
Reply
#13
A2,

Here is a link to the barrel. It's the 18" non-fluted:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228479...uctFinding
Reply
#14
great first post, TV! and a beauuuuutiful rig. outstanding job.
Reply
#15
Tropical, you shouldn't have to worry about heat from the barrel. I have never had my grendel barrel heat up enough from normal firing strings to feel the heat. Now I have done a few 15 round firing strings where you wouldn't want to touch the suppressor.
Reply
#16
lead chucker, that is good to know. I really am not planning on doing many mag dumps or long strings, except in the initial testing. Thanks your input and experience!
Reply
#17
Welcome to the forum! Yeah it does take some time getting admitted into this fine Fraternity known as the Horde! You can thank the Hackers for that, lol...
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)