Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Looking for some insight on a 6.5 Grendel Build
#1
Hello all. I'm new to the forums but not new to the AR platform.
I've built dozens but always in 5.56 or 7.62x39.
I'm looking into building an AR for hunting, mostly whitetail deer, and for long range target shooting. The 6.5 Grendel is looking like my best option at this point.
Now when I say long range, I'm talking out to 600-800 yards max.
At the moment I'm considering a 20" barreled complete upper from radical firearms paired with a lower with an A2 style butt-stock that I currently own.

The lower is currently on a 20" 5.56 setup, and my question is will I have to change the buffer and buffer spring to accommodate the 6.5 Grendel round?

Any additional information or tips on the 6.5 Grendel round, build, or abilities is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply
#2
ryanj1022 Wrote:The lower is currently on a 20" 5.56 setup, and my question is will I have to change the buffer and buffer spring to accommodate the 6.5 Grendel round?

Any additional information or tips on the 6.5 Grendel round, build, or abilities is much appreciated.


Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you asked that question as I have been wondering myself. I have a 223 that doesn't get shot much since the Grendel family moved into the safe.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#3
With a 20" 6.5 Grendel a rifle length spring and buffer should work. I built a 20" Shilen and used a JP adjustable gas block but by how far out the adjustment screw is set I really didn't need it. I'm using a 6 position stock with carbine buffer and spring.
Reply
#4
I have basically the same setup, 20" bhw barrel rifle length buffer tube but have since added some weight to the rifle buffer to slow down the impulse and save some brass life. Took out the aluminum spacer and added two more steel weights from an extra rifle buffer so the weight is more than stock. Cycles my 223 reloads nicely and holds bolt back on last round. This was on my 14.5" with spikes dynacomp brake. Just need some grendel ammo to test my new barrel and heavy buffer setup.
Reply
#5
5.2oz AR15 rifle buffers with rifle spring are just fine in the 20" RLGS Grendel with .094" gas port.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#6
if you have built 7.62X39 you will have no problem building a 6.5, and save a bunch of money.. I built mine as an A2 and no problems with the buffer or spring. Used a 24" stoner barrel and it is super accurate. Last week shot the best 300 yd 3 shot group of my life, right at 1/2" with 123 gr Nosler HPBT, Hornady brass, 27 gr H4895 and a CCI 450 SR mag primer. And I still haven't set up the round for lead-in. The 6.5 Grendel is an exceptional round..
Reply
#7
i just recently built up a 20" 6.5G/.264lbc

used a rifle stock and buffer , rifle length gas, standard springs. one of the easy builds with no issues. ran 100% from the word "go".

i have built a few 7.62x39 ar-15s and if anything this was far less difficult.

ASC 30 round 7.62x39 mags seem to run fine for me with the 6.5 round and with the .125 bolts the .264 lbc runs all i had to do was buy a barrel.

a 20" barrel should be fine -- i am running a 20" el-cheapo "sprinta' 264 lbc and was shocked at how accurate it is.

black hole has some very interesting options -- like that 24" lightweight with the poly -- and i want one of those 14.5" with a pinned flash hider too--lol

first off about the 6.5 round is your going to be impressed with the accuracy and the range, and the power for such an "efficient" powder charge.

darn grendels like [otato chip[s you can't have just one--
Reply
#8
18"-20" barrel will work for your needs. I'd definitely build a upper with a Black Hole barrel, you can get quality parts at a fair price, I'd add a adjustable Gas block if you plan on reloading and it'll help.

Oh the reason I say build is we know you'll get a sub MOA barrel at a great price. Ask for a type 2 bolt if you go with black hole too.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)