Posts: 1
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2015
Hey guys I know very little about the 6.5. I bought a group of various parts and such from a guy and one of the items is a BHW .264 Type I barrel. SS 16". Looks new and considering using it for a build. Thoughts and suggestions for a newbie to the 6.5 are greatly appreciated. Bolt recommendation? Suppress it? Thanks in advance.
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
I ran a Model 1 .125 headspace bolt for several hundred rounds with no issues, very cost effective. My uncle and my father have BHW .264 LBC'S with type 1 chamber and awsome accuracy for a budget build!
Posts: 1,040
Threads: 60
Joined: Jul 2014
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the BHW barrel. Just get another bolt to keep in the range bag, since it's a good idea to do. Imo it's just a practice that I'll do with all my ARs, reason being they crank out the parts fast for the high demand and easy way to speed up process is the heat treatment.
Now on your second build you can go all in on a sweet barrel.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor
Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.
Aim small, miss small!
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
bulldawg1024 Wrote:Hey guys I know very little about the 6.5. I bought a group of various parts and such from a guy and one of the items is a BHW .264 Type I barrel. SS 16". Looks new and considering using it for a build. Thoughts and suggestions for a newbie to the 6.5 are greatly appreciated. Bolt recommendation? Suppress it? Thanks in advance.
Welcome. What's the gas system length? If it's carbine length, with a .124" bolt face depth, it's going to be particularly hard on extractors. If it's mid length, not as much, depending on gas port diameter.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com