09-06-2015, 04:17 AM
What is the lightest, most accurate barrel you can get in a 20" profile? Would also consider 18" if no sacrifice in accuracy.
|
Barrel upgrade
|
|
09-06-2015, 04:17 AM
What is the lightest, most accurate barrel you can get in a 20" profile? Would also consider 18" if no sacrifice in accuracy.
09-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Try the Lilja ar740. If you want it lighter, have them flute it. Ive been very impressed with mine, it's more accurate then me.
09-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Azgeek Wrote:What is the lightest, most accurate barrel you can get in a 20" profile? Would also consider 18" if no sacrifice in accuracy. AZG: You will find that top end barrels all shoot equally as well. Your problem will probably be finding one that fits the profile you want. Few if any barrel makers will cut a profile to your specs without having you wait for what may be years. Which means they won't ever do the job no matter what they promise. I would also suggest you know what requirements you have for the rifle or carbine. Barrels, like everything else are specialty items. If you want a top end barrel, it will cost you around $500.00. And unless your requirements demand such precision,you may find that a barrel costing $300.00 will do the job you want just as well as the expensive one. If I were you I would get hold of Mark at Precision firearms and ask his advice. Could well be he has a barrel that meets your standards already and could be you will save several hundred dollars in the process. LR55
09-06-2015, 05:14 PM
The term "most accurate" is an interesting one. In order to determine what barrel is the "most accurate" I would like to see shot groups from every manufacturer from expert marksman to determine that. Since we dont have a that data and we can only go off of what we have shot, seen shot, or seen reported on this forum there is really no way to determine the "most accurate". The ability of the shooter is the biggest factor in my opinion. If you; the shooter cannot hold consistent 1/2 minute groups than no matter how accurate the rifle is you wont see that consistent level of accuracy. With that being said it seems most barrels chambered in 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC seem to be able to hold around 3/4 minute or better accuracy. Even the lower priced barrels and even shorter barrels. I have seen a 14.5 " barrel shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards in the grendel chamber. With that being said if you have the money and dont mind the wait I think Precision firearms is a good place to start. Mark can give you a choice of a high end barrel for your build and they are building rifles that are shooting in the 1/2 minute range according to reports. I have not personally shot one. My 18" BHW is consistently in the 3/4 MOA range with me shooting it and my hand loads. Occasionally it will put up smaller groups, and also on a bad day I can easily shoot in the 1 MOA range. I have yet to have a 5 shot group bigger than 1.25" at 100 yards with match ammo. PPU and wolf not included in that statement.
09-07-2015, 02:07 AM
1911man Wrote:The term "most accurate" is an interesting one. In order to determine what barrel is the "most accurate" I would like to see shot groups from every manufacturer from expert marksman to determine that. Since we dont have a that data and we can only go off of what we have shot, seen shot, or seen reported on this forum there is really no way to determine the "most accurate". The ability of the shooter is the biggest factor in my opinion. If you; the shooter cannot hold consistent 1/2 minute groups than no matter how accurate the rifle is you wont see that consistent level of accuracy. With that being said it seems most barrels chambered in 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC seem to be able to hold around 3/4 minute or better accuracy. Even the lower priced barrels and even shorter barrels. I have seen a 14.5 " barrel shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards in the grendel chamber. With that being said if you have the money and dont mind the wait I think Precision firearms is a good place to start. Mark can give you a choice of a high end barrel for your build and they are building rifles that are shooting in the 1/2 minute range according to reports. I have not personally shot one. My 18" BHW is consistently in the 3/4 MOA range with me shooting it and my hand loads. Occasionally it will put up smaller groups, and also on a bad day I can easily shoot in the 1 MOA range. I have yet to have a 5 shot group bigger than 1.25" at 100 yards with match ammo. PPU and wolf not included in that statement. That is a great response. Very well put
09-07-2015, 02:53 AM
Azgeek Wrote:What is the lightest, most accurate barrel you can get in a 20" profile? Would also consider 18" if no sacrifice in accuracy. Imo if you plan on shooting it more than 20 shots in a session a light barrel will heat up fast and lose it's accuracy fast in your shooting session. Now Mark had 18" barrels light Hbar 2lbs 5oz and 20" light Hbar 2lbs 9oz. If you flute them you'll lose 4oz give or take? Those barrels will have the potential to shot sub MOA and you won't lose any accuracy from 18"-20" and you'll only lose about 50fps too. So it just comes down to how much you want to spend. Bartlien, Lilja, Lothar Walther, Black Whole Weaponry Krieger is probably the most consistent but it's only a bull barrel and Criterion Barrels are coming soon and I'm guessing in between Lilja and Lothar Walther. All the barrels will be fine additions to your weapon. I just listed by cost, and imo the best bang for your dollar BHW barrels. You also have JP Enterprise, Templar, dead shot barrels, Odin works, radical firearms, Shilen, X-Caliber barrels, liberty/satern, underground tactical, I'm sure I'm forgetting some but do more research ask questions and you'll get honest answers from great guys.
12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
Surge - Rugged Suppressor Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time. Aim small, miss small!
09-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys. Wow lots of choices now. Guess I have some homework to do. I know for sure I don't want a dedicated bench gun. I want something I can hunt with and take that occasional shot out to 1k. Can't remember where I read this but is there a new chamber standard on the horizon from Mr. Bill? If so should I wait on this? I'm in no hurry.
09-14-2015, 11:07 PM
What range are you Looking for accuracy? A shorter barrel may hold tighter groups at 100 yards, due to less "whip" A longer barrel will give more velocity, meaning flatter trajectory, so less drop at longer distances.
09-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Hey, AZG, how about jumping on the Faxon group buy! It would help some of us who are having trouble patiently waiting. I have a 20" with Magpul MOE rifle length stock and want to try something more vehicle handy.
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
The Wasp profile Lilja barrels have been shooting very well for me and those that have used them. That's what I was going for with my 18" Grendel build, a lightweight barrel that would group well over higher round count strings.
I've seen a SAKO 75 Hunter with a featherweight profile deliver that kind of accuracy, even over a 3-Day Sniper Instructor Course, so I knew it could be done when using a quality pipe. Here's what I ended up with: ![]() ![]() Multiple 10rd groups with 2 different loads are just over 1 MOA at 200yds. We did a Shooting Campout with my Scout Troop Venturing Crew a few weeks ago, and several kids and one leader shot 1 MOA groups with it at 100yds, first time on the AR15/6.5 Grendel.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here: www.AR15buildbox.com
09-16-2015, 05:17 PM
a pal of mine has a 24" black hole , with the target crown . very accurate and it is turned down to about 3lbs, so it is not any more heavy than my 20" Hbar .
depending on the load a 18" or 20" can do about as well. a properly fluted 20" would be a nice all around set up. tons of folks make accurate barrels in 6.5 these days. ammo plays a big part in accuracy as well.
09-24-2015, 04:55 AM
2_speed Wrote:Hey, AZG, how about jumping on the Faxon group buy! It would help some of us who are having trouble patiently waiting. �� I have a 20" with Magpul MOE rifle length stock and want to try something more vehicle handy. Faxon group buy? Details?
09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|