Problems with my new build - Anyone have headspace gauges?
#41
I have not been able to get my hands on factory ammo but I made some SST dummy rounds with a COL of 2.244-2.247 per bigbear_98's measurements. I used AA and Hornady brass and checked all of them in a case gauge. I couldn't even force the bolt to lock by hand. This is one that I marked with sharpie. As you can see, I had to knock it back out with a brass rod.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5418[/ATTACH]

All of these dummy rounds chamber and extract freely in my Satern barrel with no marking throat marking whatsoever.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#42
jurassic Wrote:I have the same barrel, I'll have to check it out before I put money in it. Does a factory loaded round drop in and out of the chamber?

I too have the same barrel and it's perfect. I think txgunner may have a lemon!
Reply
#43
I just checked COL with 123 Aamax bullets and got completely different results than the SSTs. Average was 2.256" (2.252-2.259).

This is a pic of dummy rounds seated to 2.258-2.260

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5419[/ATTACH]

They had to be lightly tapped out with a rod.

This is the same rounds bumped back to 2.245-2.247

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5420[/ATTACH]

These came out by lightly taping the barrel on the bench.

The both the SSTs and Amaxes seat at similar depths with similar settings on my seating die but the canalure makes them drastically different in terms of contacting the leade & rifling.

Amaxes may work better but wanted to tune this upper with SSTs for hunting. Plus I have a ton of them already and only a partial box of Amaxes

This is annoying.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#44
PigOPs Wrote:I too have the same barrel and it's perfect. I think txgunner may have a lemon!

Looks that way. To add to the aggravation the business I bought it from won't respond at all. Just my luck...Sad
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#45
txgunner00 Wrote:Looks that way. To add to the aggravation the business I bought it from won't respond at all. Just my luck...Sad

Did you buy from RedX? I would give them a few days if you emailed them today, it is the weekend. I'm sure if you have a problem they will help you out.
Reply
#46
Yes. I called and left a message last Monday. Called again Wednesday and they had changed their recording to "email us if you have questions about your order" or something like that. It would be reasonable to assert that they got the message but chose not to respond. I emailed them Wed or Thurs but have not received a reply. Honestly I'm not expecting them to do much because I have modified the barrel (lesson learned there). I would like at least the courtesy of a response so I know what they are willing to do one way or the other. Who knows- they might surprise me and earn a repeat customer. They have several other things listed on their site I am interested in.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#47
I borrowed the wife's camera equipment and tried to get some better pics of the chamber. Anybody see anything that stands out?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5428[/ATTACH]

One thing I noticed is the step between the neck and throat seems awfully square. All of the chamber drawings I can find show this to have about a 45 deg angle to it.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#48
Nuffin'?
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#49
I'm a blank bud, sorry! Sad
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Reply
#50
That first picture is illuminating! It appears that one can actually see the break in taper from the nominal 0.5 degree to 1.5 degree angle. Of course we can't tell the actual angles, but it sure appears that the throat is compound.

A question just popped into my head and only partially answered with quick Google on "chrome plate thickness" which shows the minimum to be 0.005" thick. This means the diameter will be decreased by at least 1 mil from the as finished condition. If the barrel was cut with a minimum spec reamer, and the throat subsequently reduced in diameter by a mil, then the difference between your available OAL and factory ammunition would be explained.

Pity your barrel source is not able to engage in a discussion.

txgunner00 Wrote:I borrowed the wife's camera equipment and tried to get some better pics of the chamber. Anybody see anything that stands out?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5428[/ATTACH]

One thing I noticed is the step between the neck and throat seems awfully square. All of the chamber drawings I can find show this to have about a 45 deg angle to it.
Reply
#51
JASmith Wrote:That first picture is illuminating! It appears that one can actually see the break in taper from the nominal 0.5 degree to 1.5 degree angle. Of course we can't tell the actual angles, but it sure appears that the throat is compound.

A question just popped into my head and only partially answered with quick Google on "chrome plate thickness" which shows the minimum to be 0.005" thick. This means the diameter will be decreased by at least 1 mil from the as finished condition. If the barrel was cut with a minimum spec reamer, and the throat subsequently reduced in diameter by a mil, then the difference between your available OAL and factory ammunition would be explained.

Pity your barrel source is not able to engage in a discussion.

Just SWAG'ing here: Do you think maybe they could have accidentally cut a few chambers with a normal reamer (intended for their stainless barrels) instead of their correct oversize reamer intended for (to be) chromed bores.....? Just swinging wildly at anything that flies by at this point.

Cerrosafe?
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Reply
#52
Update: I ordered a replacement barrel from Mark @ Precision Firearms and received it earlier this week. It started as an unfinished M4 profile Sabre Defense blank that he chambered, cut to 12.5, threaded, installed the extension, drilled the gas port and had melonited. At $275 + shipping with bolt this is one heck of a value in a barrel. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks. I have high hopes for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5543[/ATTACH]

I took some pictures of the throat for comparison and you can see obvious differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5544[/ATTACH]
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#53
Here are the 2 chambers side by side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5545[/ATTACH]

As you can see, the CL barrel has no freebore.

I measured Mark's barrel with 123 SST's and 123 AMAX so far. I will have no problems at all loading to mag length.

I'll be on my way shortly to pick up my steel cased ammo and plan on having some fun this weekend!

Thanks Mark! Nice work. Please feel free to chime in with more detail if I missed something.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#54
I was able to get a better picture of the PF barrel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5549[/ATTACH]

Pretty evident why I was having problems with the CL barrel.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply
#55
This was done with a Mason Reamer.
"Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)