does anyone here shoot BOTH 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC? I found a great deal on a complete 14.7" upper at PSA and have wanted a shorter range gun (think truck gun with low power optics) that can put the thump on hogs... I've considered 300 BLK on and off but am just not really drawn to it in the long run... I'm also well aware that 6.5G does great at short ranges but I would never find a complete upper for $389. So there you have it: I guess I have a foot in each camp.
What say ye? Anybody else straddle the fence?
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
06-07-2014, 04:45 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM by Drifter.)
Yes, the 68 should serve your needs just fine.
That being said, if you're already shooting the 65G, it might be worth considering the potential cost savings of sticking with one cartridge (ammo and / or reloading components, and magazines). It might offset the higher initial cost of another Grendel upper.
Red X Arms has 14.5" Grendel uppers (without BCG) for $400. They have bolts for $45. You could probably find a reasonably priced bolt carrier for under $100. Thus, the initial cost of a Grendel upper might be $150 more than that PSA 68 upper. But how long will it take to burn through $150 in 68 ammo or new reloading components?
Drifter
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
I've got 6.5G, 6.8SPC, & 300BLK. All are good fun. Obviously, the Grendel is the better long range option but the 300BLK is fine inside 200 yds (think 30/30 AR) and the 6.8 is good to 250-300. I think everyone here would tell you to enjoy them all.
Here's the thing... Had I known about the redx I may have made that decision. However, there are variables: is it SAAMI? Which bolt?
Also, it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong) the 6.8 may be more suited to monolithic rounds such as 110 tsx. Am I wrong?
I also was able to find 7 different factory loads in local stores.
Is the RedX a good upper? The PSA barrel is made by FN.
Could I cancel my order with PSA if I wanted to?
EDIT: I just did all the research that to the questions I asked and I think you're right... I already have a good reloading system for grendel, plenty of brass, bullets, magazines and powder... I'll cancel the PSA order and order a bolt from maxim. Thanks for the heads up!
As much as us erudite Grendelphiles would like to think (hope?) otherwise, one's choice of rifles is like choosing a mate in the Western world. We get to make our own choice. Much of the time that choice is excellent as demonstrated by experience but all too often emotion (or lust) leads us to a poor choice in the eyes of friends and colleagues and is often demonstrated by less than optimum experience.
That said, I think PigOps will be happy with his decision to stay with his Grendel!
Posts: 95
Threads: 6
Joined: Dec 2012
I have the 14.5 Grendel from RedX, it's a Sabre Defence upper, while it's not the tack driver my 24" AA overwatch is, it's as good as anything else in my safe. The AA goes for the big fields (scoped) and the shorty goes to the swamp (red dot), one caliber for everything, the 123 SSTs shoot great out of both guns. I got a bolt from Underground Tactical and I can swap the bolts and carrier between uppers with no problems.
http://www.undergroundtactical.com/produ...mbled.html
I did have to put a heavy buffer in the shorty to solve some cycling problems but it make a great light weight gun for those 150 and under days.
Errorhead- Did you float the barrel? I just found a great deal on a Troy alpha so I think I'll float mine.
Posts: 95
Threads: 6
Joined: Dec 2012
No I just used a Magpul MOE mid length, my 24" AA is floated, but the shorty is a cheaper build. My 12 year old son thinks it's his!