Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
I would say, out of my 24" RLGS, anywhere from 2'oclock to 4'oclock, depending on the flavor. YMMV....
Just get a left or ambi side charge upper from Quality Arms Idaho and have no problems
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
I have numerous DPMS LowPro uppers. Beowulfs drop at 3:00 and 4 feet to the right. Grendel around 5:00 and 8 feet back. 223 at 6:00 and fly back about 15 to 20 feet and keep bouncing. I use my Brass Snatcher and it doesn't go anywhere when that's on. Also with no brass deflector, no bent brass.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Tedward Wrote:I have numerous DPMS LowPro uppers. Beowulfs drop at 3:00 and 4 feet to the right. Grendel around 5:00 and 8 feet back. 223 at 6:00 and fly back about 15 to 20 feet and keep bouncing. I use my Brass Snatcher and it doesn't go anywhere when that's on. Also with no brass deflector, no bent brass.
Your .223's eject through the buttstock?? At 6 O'clock? Is that GMT or Eastern?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
Ok, 5:45... If I'm at my bench in front of my garage it all goes into the garage and behind me. None goes to the right into the gravel.
Anyhow, how many left handed shooters are at the range to make is a question of hitting them. Just like eating at a table and knocking elbows, switch sides. Put them on your left, then there cases wont hit you in the face if they got there Lefty from QA.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Interesting. My .223 slick side ejects at 3 o'clock, but that is with the rifle length butt stock. When I put it on a carbine length system, they move back to about 4.
Either way, I don't have one on my Grendel, but I can say that with its Adjustable Gas Block, it was easy enough to tune it to drop the brass right at 4:00 at about 8 feet. They're not hitting the deflector, and the case mouths are in perfect shape.
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
Why on earth would you buy a right eject upper for a left shooter? Only one model of upper can accommodate both hand shooters, other than that you will have to choose what is more important for you to buy
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
Dad I have the Lo Pro upper on my Grendel because the upper is thicker than a mil-spec the empty case hits against the rear of the ejection port unlike the mil spec that hits the deflector. I have some videos that I took of the action cycling with a high speed camera(1K FPS). The first one was with a H1 buffer and it showed the brass hitting the rear of the ejection port and bouncing out at 3 o'clock . The second is with a H3G buffer and also with a cut down ejector spring, the brass hit the ejection port in the same place but came out at the 1 o'clock position. I don't think anyone is making left hand bolts for the Grendel so you will have to use a rt handed upper.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
rasp65 Wrote:Dad I have the Lo Pro upper on my Grendel because the upper is thicker than a mil-spec the empty case hits against the rear of the ejection port unlike the mil spec that hits the deflector. I have some videos that I took of the action cycling with a high speed camera(1K FPS). The first one was with a H1 buffer and it showed the brass hitting the rear of the ejection port and bouncing out at 3 o'clock . The second is with a H3G buffer and also with a cut down ejector spring, the brass hit the ejection port in the same place but came out at the 1 o'clock position. I don't think anyone is making left hand bolts for the Grendel so you will have to use a rt handed upper.
Quality Arms has left handed Grendel Bolts and Ambi Uppers. I have been using the DPMS LowPro (Southpaw) lefties for people who are left eye dominant or left handed. QA has helped me out with left Grendel bolts and once all my DPMS's are all gone, I'll be going to his Ambi's, why not use what seems to be one of the best lefty solutions out there. Your right handed freind can use it too so your not stuck with a right or left setup. Change a bolt and go either way....
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
Ted Did not know that thanks for the info.