Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
MikeGideon Wrote:This is an OK video. Don't forget to grease your threads before you install the barrel nut. I would also check inside the receiver and make sure none oozed out there. So far, that hasn't happened on the ones i've done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgw6MhO83Fg
Yeah I use the Aero Shell 33MS that meets the Mil Spec Barrel Nut requirements. I bought a little container of that from the Umbrella Corporation.
https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/miscellan...ms-grease/
Posts: 240
Threads: 31
Joined: Jan 2013
Great thread! I installed my new barrel and it was way off once I installed the handguard. I lapped it last night after reading this thread and the other one started by LR. Now it's straight as an arrow!
Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
waveslayer Wrote:Great thread! I installed my new barrel and it was way off once I installed the handguard. I lapped it last night after reading this thread and the other one started by LR. Now it's straight as an arrow!
Glad that worked out for you. So what was happening to make you realize that it was off, after putting the handguard on?
explorecaves
Unregistered
Keep The Change Wrote:Glad that worked out for you. So what was happening to make you realize that it was off, after putting the handguard on?
If it is off, then the barrel will not be centered when it exits the hand guard
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
explorecaves Wrote:If it is off, then the barrel will not be centered when it exits the hand guard
What kind, mil-spec or billet, and brand of upper was it? Just for knowledge of what brands are that much off.
Posts: 160
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2013
Just from watching this thread and my experiences with MEGA uppers, I don't think I'll ever build on a milspec forged upper again.
Posts: 240
Threads: 31
Joined: Jan 2013
Tedward Wrote:What kind, mil-spec or billet, and brand of upper was it? Just for knowledge of what brands are that much off.
It was a RRA upper. You could tell it was off after installing the hand guard... it wasn't pretty! I would have had to install a NightForce scope to get enough windage adjustment to make up for it.
Posts: 240
Threads: 31
Joined: Jan 2013
Tedward Wrote:What kind, mil-spec or billet, and brand of upper was it? Just for knowledge of what brands are that much off.
It was a RRA upper. You could tell it was off after installing the hand guard... it wasn't pretty! I would have had to install a NightForce scope to get enough windage adjustment to make up for it.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
GMinor Wrote:Just from watching this thread and my experiences with MEGA uppers, I don't think I'll ever build on a milspec forged upper again.
My AA uppers are mil spec forged...they are square.
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
customcutter
Unregistered
Forged or billet really isn't going to make a difference in the squareness of the receiver to the bore. That is going to be a function of the machining and how accurately the machines are set up and capable of holding tolerances.