I've had a Grendel upper on order with AA since March. I just couldn't wait to get a running mate for my Model 1 I bought last year. I found a standard Overwatch model on Bud's and ordered it. Picked it up from my local FFL dealer Friday and spent the weekend mounting a scope and cleaning the rifle. Now I just need a break in this cold snap so I can take it to the range. I was having a hard time picking a scope, so I just went with a Weaver 36X Target scope. I'll use it to develop some loads and then make a decision on what to mount on a more permanent basis.
customcutter
Unregistered
I hear you on the wait. I was looking for an upper, a barrel/bolt, even thought about turning my own barrel until I found out that the bolts were the problem. I was on Midways notify list with no luck there. Finally got in on the Liberty barrel/bolt buy last month. The bolts were supposed to be in last week, now we are hearing another couple of weeks. I'm hoping it's soon.
Posts: 154
Threads: 35
Joined: Jul 2013
A wait on anything is a killer. Glad you got an upper, I hope you are as satisfied with your Grendel as I am with mine. Pics? Enjoy...
The wait time for highly desired AR15 niche market products is a long wait across the industry. Check out the wait times on the LaRue PredatAR, or OBR, GA Precision GAP-10, etc. Most are 8 months to 14 months.\
Good thing you found an upper.
I waited 32 weeks for my 24" AA GSR. Glad I ordered an extra bolt and extractor at the same time.
I got a complete rifle from Bud's. I've still got the upper on order at AA.
My upper from Precision Firearms arrived in less than 5 weeks. Of course the price tag is hefty, but I'd rather not wait months when I placed the order.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
I sent AA an e-mail yesterday canceling my 10+ month old order for a 6.5 upper and a number of other items. I guess they got it....didn't get a response yet....but that does seem par for the course. Time to move on. Not sure if I'll look for another 6.5 or consider something else.
customcutter
Unregistered
arizona98tj Wrote:I sent AA an e-mail yesterday canceling my 10+ month old order for a 6.5 upper and a number of other items. I guess they got it....didn't get a response yet....but that does seem par for the course. Time to move on. Not sure if I'll look for another 6.5 or consider something else.
Welcome to the forum. It's tough waiting. It was bad enough before the AR market went nuts last year. Once everyone spooked on more gun legislation the mfg 's couldn't keep up with .223/5.56 demand, and it wasn't worth their time to re-tool or set up for much else in the AR world caliber wise. There are Grendels out there if you want to spend the coin, and get lucky. Keep an eye out on GB and in the classifieds here. They do pop up from time to time. I know there were some barrel/bolts on GB a few days ago, but they are priced accordingly.
Good luck,
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
customcutter Wrote:Keep an eye out on GB and in the classifieds here. They do pop up from time to time. I know there were some barrel/bolts on GB a few days ago, but they are priced accordingly.
Good luck,
Thanks....I've been lurking here since before I ordered from AA. I'll be looking around and keeping an eye out for something interesting.
Posts: 107
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2013
Model 1 sales has a 6.5 Sporter which is supposed to be the same thing.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
thanks
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
Actually, they are not precisely the same, in that the bolt isn't identical according to Bwaites. I believe he said what you got there is more of a 7.62x39 bolt with their "Sporter" version.
I don't know why they are specifying 16" CLGS barrels with 1/9 twist, with a 1/2x36 thread pattern (the one from the Colt 9mm SMG), but it looks like I have a good idea where at least one barrel/bolt came from that gave one of our forum members major headaches.
A 16" gun should really have a MLGS, with at least a 1/8 twist or tighter barrel, with a 9/16x24 or 5/8x24 thread pattern.
The one I'm remembering in particular wouldn't chamber factory ammo reliably, wouldn't extract, had the wrong gas port diameter, and was loused up in every way you could think of. Bill A. ended up stepping in and had the upper shipped to him to check out, then basically replaced most of the critical parts (barrel, bolt, gas block, etc.) with AA components, and squared the guy away big time.
If they would notify whoever is making their barrels that the Grendel is SAAMI-spec'd, the barrel maker could get a reamer, and cover that end.
Then profile them MLGS, with a larger thread pattern.