Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Newbie looking for advice
#1
So...where to begin?

My AA upper just arrived and I attached it to my pre-SAFE billet lower and now I need to figure out my next step.

This rifle is my first foray into precision shooting. I have plinked for fun on a 10/22 as well as with my 6920's, 303 Enfield, and model 94.

My rig is as follows;
AA 24" GSR upper - Precision cut-rifled, 5S rifling, 1:8.75 twist, fluted, free floated barrel, thread protector pinned & welded. Billet side charging upper with chrome bcg, hard use bolt and extended MK10 handguard.
Frankenlower - Billet lower, with VLTOR a2 clubfoot modstock, geissele hi-speed national match DMR trigger, tacticalsprings green rifle spring, rifle buffer, troy ambidextrous mag release, BAD-ASS safety, kns anti rotation pins, DD LPK, sierra precision spr pistol grip.
LaRue 30mm spr mount
Harris s-lm bipod
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 dead hold bdc
10rd mags

So...my local range has a 200yd lane and a few 100yd lanes. For general purpose hunting and killing paper zombies, what should I zero at?

Second, should I mount my bipod at the end of the mk10 handguard, or someplace farther back (&why)?

Third, I have some Hornady and AA factory loads, 124gr something and 130gr swift sirroco. For hunting whitetail what is the ideal factory load? For paper subject-moa what would the ideal factory load be?

Any advice for newbs you care to pass on is appreciated. I am here to learn.
Reply
#2
Mine is zeroed at 100. But I can turn turrets fast or use my reticle... so for hunting that depends on how far out you normally hunt. Use a ballistic calculator to determine what's good for your zero when you pick a load.

Second... mount the bipod all the way out towards the barrel for a more stable platform.

I hear the SST's are deadly! 123 grain if I remeber. I use 123 A max for paper and 120 SMK
Reply
#3
In upstate NY I doubt I'll be taking shots much past 200 yards, 250 tops. On paper I'd love to be able to get good enough for 1000yds, but I need time and training first.

Any advice on where I can find ammo in stock? I don't reload (yet) but it's on my bucket list for the next 2-3 years.
Reply
#4
Welcome. There is a lot of ammo on Gunbroker right now. You can zero at 200yds for hunting, and know how high you'll be at 100yds. With the 123gr A-MAX, you'll be about 1.8" high at 100yds with a 200yd zero.

Either of the loads you mentioned have been killing medium game for years. The 123gr A-MAX behaves like a Nosler Ballistic tip, so from your 24" barrel, it will rapidly expand on game at 100yds, which might not give you the penetration you want, but will do a lot of damage. The Scirocco is a premium hunting bullet, and will penetrate well, with good expansion within 200yds. There is also a factory 123gr SST from Hornady that has been doing very well on game, usually with through-and-through penetration, combined with good expansion. It has an interlocked base, so it retains the tail end lead core very well, while expansion comes from the polymer-tipped hollow-point.

The 123gr A-MAX is probably the most popular paper-punching factory load, and is very accurate in most people's guns.
Reply
#5
A 200 yard zero is pretty much ideal for your stated uses. Point blank performance all the way to ~275 yards for a 7" vital zone radius, with most loads. If you zero at 100, your PBR goes down to ~220 yards, so the 200 yard zero buys you the extra 50 yards before you need to worry about hold over on a deer sized target.
Reply
#6
NugginFutz Wrote:A hundred yard zero is pretty much ideal for your stated uses. Point blank performance all the way to ~275 yards for a 7" vital zone radius, with most loads. If you zero at 100, your PBR goes down to ~220 yards, so the 200 yard zero buys you the extra 50 yards before you need to worry about hold over on a deer sized target.

I think he MEANT to say a 200 YARD zero!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#7
Welcome, nice stick. You'll find that it is a laser, I bet.

For factory loads, it is very hard to beat the Factory Hornady 123 AMAX load for accuracy, but occasionally a rifle likes the 123 Lapua better. I've actually shot the 123 Hornady Factory load all the way out to 1000 yards in competition, and it does very well.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#8
bwaites Wrote:I think he MEANT to say a 200 YARD zero!

yeah - my attention wandered before pressing "post".
Reply
#9
Sweet, thanks guys.

I have a lot to learn about my scope and dialing it in and adjusting it for distance and windage, as well as the relation between the math on paper and how it translates on my scope.

I was going to get a 5-20x50 SWFA but with a new baby (want to kill a budget fast?) and the year wait for a scope, I broke down and got the vortex as the starter unit and I'll upgrade later and move the Vortex to my 303 enfield.

Any advice other than practice?
Reply
#10
Start with the hornady stuff you'll get sighted in quick. As for other advice, just have fun, you bought a rocketship.... Enjoy
Reply
#11
I did my research for quite a while before pulling the trigger. It's what I do.
Reply
#12
I find the Sciroccos clearly superior to the Hornady factory loading for hunting. But the Hornady loads are just fine for hunting so I dont know if the Sciroccos are worth the extra money. This is how I zero . I shoot at 100 yards (thats the only range I have easily available) and set it up so the bullets strike about 2.5 inches high at that range. That gives me a little better PBR then setting up at 1.80 inches high at 100 yards.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)