10-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Nice report, shooting, photos, etc. fmsniper. Pronghorn hunting is a blast... and the 6.5G is a great match for them. I'm about 12 years out from drawing another tag here in Oregon.
|
antelope hunting with the 6.5 G
|
|
10-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Nice report, shooting, photos, etc. fmsniper. Pronghorn hunting is a blast... and the 6.5G is a great match for them. I'm about 12 years out from drawing another tag here in Oregon.
10-30-2013, 03:39 AM
fmsniper Wrote:LRRPF52 I got a job offer from G7 Long range pursuit, I am retiring in a few months and heading out to WY..., Aaron is a good guy, I met him over the summer and thus I have decided to work with him and his TV Show.. Congrats! Sounds like a plan. Working and doing what you love at the same time...
11-01-2013, 01:17 PM
looking forward to it, now I am trying to find a place to rent near Cody
on another note i am going to pull my barrel this weekend and lathe it down to 20 inches, I do need the extra 4 inches for the hunting ranges i shoot. I figure 600 yards for this caliber on medium animals is about the limit
11-01-2013, 02:29 PM
fm,
Not all bullets will reliably expand at 600 yards with the Grendel, even with long barrels. Some might, so if you do your research before seriously contemplating 600 yard shots at medium game, you might not lose a well-hit animal or two because the bullet failed to expand. For others thinking about the very long range shots, take a look at your ability to dope wind. Even a 2 mph crosswind can blow a bullet out of the vital zone. This means that even days one thinks are calm might be windy enough to cost you an animal unless due patience and judgement are applied. (I say this mostly because I know I don't have those skills but have been doing informal rifle shooting for a rather long time...)
11-01-2013, 02:56 PM
JAS that's good advice. Like you, I haven't developed that skill set but some have. I dabble in shooting steel, milk jugs, targets, etc at over 500 yards enough to know just how hard a good first shot hit is. Its one thing you have a nice tight group at range but from a hunting standpoint 1st shot accuracy is what its all about. The drop isn't the fly in the ointment... its the drift. The only guys that have any business shooting critters "way out there" are the ones who have put in the work or shoot a Huskamaw scope. Just kidding about the scope... sort of
.
11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
no worries I do it for a living...
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|