Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
piggy projectiles
#1
Judging from the posts I have seen, there does not seem to be one favored projectile for TX piggies.

Any opinionated proponents of a particular projectile?
Reply
#2
I loaded a variety of ammo for a Texas hog hunt, unfortunately my plans for the hunt never materialized. I loaded some 120 grain Sierra pro-hunters, 120 grain Nosler BT & 125 grain Nosler partitions. In lighter bullets I loaded 100 grain Barnes TTSX and 100 grain Nosler partitions. I think the new 123 SST or 120 grain Remington core lock would also work.
Reply
#3
The 125 gr Noslers sound intriguing and the 130 gr Swift Sciroccos caught my eye. Any experience with those?
Reply
#4
I really like the Hornady 123 grain SST. I've only shot Florida Hogs with it but Texas hogs came from Florida so I think it should work on them tooSmile
See my post for more details http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post57310
Bob
Reply
#5
That and other descriptions of pass-throughs and other descriptions of massive meat destruction was, in part, what prompted me to post this thread. If these TX piggies are good eating, I'd like to smoke 'em (figuratively and literally) and eat 'em. On the other hand, if they taste as nasty as say... roosterfish, I'll make other plans.

[Image: Roosterfish.gif]
Reply
#6
we typically shoot 30-35 hogs a year on our place in west Texas, so my recommendation is based only on our personal usage of bullets here. The Barnes TSX has become the predominant bullet type in our rifles. If you want a bullet that's consistent in expansion, leaves a double bore diameter exit hole, and will pass through nearly anything you shoot with it, use a 120gr. TSX. We've yet to recover any on hogs ranging in size from 80-330lbs.
John 11:25-26
Reply
#7
81police Wrote:we typically shoot 30-35 hogs a year on our place in west Texas, so my recommendation is based only on our personal usage of bullets here. The Barnes TSX has become the predominant bullet type in our rifles. If you want a bullet that's consistent in expansion, leaves a double bore diameter exit hole, and will pass through nearly anything you shoot with it, use a 120gr. TSX. We've yet to recover any on hogs ranging in size from 80-330lbs.

What reciepe do you use?

I just got a box of the Barnes pills

Thanks in advance
Reply
#8
81police Wrote:we typically shoot 30-35 hogs a year on our place in west Texas, so my recommendation is based only on our personal usage of bullets here. The Barnes TSX has become the predominant bullet type in our rifles. If you want a bullet that's consistent in expansion, leaves a double bore diameter exit hole, and will pass through nearly anything you shoot with it, use a 120gr. TSX. We've yet to recover any on hogs ranging in size from 80-330lbs.

We do the same here on the Gulf Coast...120gr TSX is devastating on pigs. I have some pictures at home of what the bullet does from a grendel on pigs up to 250+lbs. We usually put one right behind the ear and they dont move.

Ive shot both factory ammo (when you can find it) or I load them behind 30gr. of Win 748 at 2.240"
Reply
#9
people take them out with a 223, anything you load will take down a pig
Reply
#10
we use factory loaded Alexander Arms 120gr. Barnes. As a side note, we shoot our pigs through the center of the shoulder...never recovered a Barnes bullet, rarely do pigs run.

So if you want the possibility of a pass through kill on the pig behind the pig you're shooting, use a Barnes bullet. I haven't tried pass throughs with the Grendel yet, but we've had 2 and 3 hog kills with 1 shot from 130gr. TSX 270Win's, 100gr. TSX 257WthbyMag, and 165gr. TSX 300WinMag.
John 11:25-26
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)