Grendel-Gene
Unregistered
I am going to build a new upper for my Grendel and i am considering a VLTOR upper. I am wondering if a forward assist is really necessary and am considering buying the upper without it!!!!! What do you all think? My new upper will have a 22 inch Satern Barrel and will be a "light sniper"...
I personally don't like the forward assist. I like the original designs, with the in-line tubular feel for the whole rifle.
However, they are better to have and not need, than to need and not have. I don't use them for immediate action, but if you have a case that is stuck, it helps to be able to get the extractor over the rim and extract it with the BGC, rather than knock it out with a rod.
Grendel-Gene
Unregistered
that makes perfect sense. thanks.
Daveworkslocal
Unregistered
Skip on Vltor. I bought one for my build and put a Hahn Precision riser on it. Two weeks later at a competition the scope and mount came loose, I sat out the match and took it apart when I got home. The metal on the top of that upper is thinner than any other upper the gunsmith had ever seen. The set padded set screws for the riser actually dented the metal so badly that it was dragging on the charging handle. Keep in mind this was hand tight, not torqued to specs and with padded screws. Photo's can be provided at request. The 100yd zero on that rifle would shift depending on in what sequence I tightened the set screws on that riser, put it that way. I went out and bought a Mega Heavy Duty Billet Upper and couldn't be happier.