Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Has any one tired using a camera tripod as a shooting platform?
#1
Has any one tired using a camera tripod as a shooting platform? I can attach a camera tripod to the bottom rail of my handguard, but I am not sure if it will stand up to the recoil.

I hate to ruin a tripod. So if anyone here has tried this before, I am listening for your experiences.....
Reply
#2
kbarnes12 Wrote:Has any one tired using a camera tripod as a shooting platform? I can attach a camera tripod to the bottom rail of my handguard, but I am not sure if it will stand up to the recoil.

I hate to ruin a tripod. So if anyone here has tried this before, I am listening for your experiences.....

KB:

They are better than trying to shoot off hand. You won't break the tripod but you won't get good performance as camera tripods are generally very light and the recoil will bounce them around badly.

Guys don't attach the rifle to them. They make a cradle and rest the forend.

Oh yes, most camera tripods that guys can carry are not tall enough for a guy to shoot standing. Instead, the guy has to crouch which is a very awkward position. The tripod thing is probably better suited for kneeling or seated as you won't find a tripod solid enough that goes down far enough for a comfortable prone.

Crossed sticks are a better bet overall IMHO. A trpod made out of rods or sticks is better as you can make the base very wide and the cradle is formed by the three sticks which tends to hold the forend better.

LR1955
Reply
#3
The stick tripods always worked great for me. Me and some friends used to hunt in Maryland in the Eastern Shore area. We were on a large paper mill property (leased) and the shots were close at our stands, but could be really long on the roads that we walked in and out on. I quickly learned that a giant field bipod wasn't that useful for me when I had to carry it everywhere on a rifle that was already heavy. I ended up taking some paracord and making some nice tight sturdy tripods out of thick branches, and they worked great. I placed them at every intersection on the walk in (real long walk), and the guys laughed at me until I started busting deer that way. Then it was a good idea.LOL I'd leave the tripods folded and laying on the side of the road at the inside corner of each long intersection. That way you could ease up and see if anything was out in the road at any significant distance. If there was-- I could then slip the sticks out quiet and get a solid shot easy.
Reply
#4
I would not recommend normal tripods for shooting rests but there are some quality ones that work and work really well. One system is sold by the Outdoorsman in Phoenix. They are a store that truly understands what it takes to skillfully use optics and rifles for long range work but they also charge accordingly. http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/category.sc?categoryId=61
If you want sticks for standing, I've used these in Africa for stalking and shooting over the bush.
http://www.long-grass.com/products/categ...ng_sticks/
Bob
Reply
#5
I had to give up rifle mounted bipods becase of a shoulder problem that disallows going prone so went with the bog-pod standing tripod and have found it to be a very good system for all height shooting. Found it good in the montains for goats-deer etc and especially on the rolling hills where I hunt rabbit. Not a burden to carry or use as a walking staff.

[Image: 014.jpg]
http://www.vongruffknives.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Von Gruff



Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
Acts 4:10-12
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)