I know questions like these have been asked a thousand times before. I am just trying to figure out what i want to get. Im going to use it for anywhere between 25-800 yards. Really 800 yards will be a rare occurrence but i would like to try. 600 will be the realistic range that i need. normal shooting will range between 100-300 yards. I was thinking about the vortex 2.5-10x44 pst or a 6-24x50 with some surefire rts fore close range. I really like the 6-24x50ffp or the ffp in general. I was looking at the nightforce 3.5-15 but there is no way i can afford that.
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM by Drifter.)
65G_Sethum Wrote:... I was thinking about the vortex 2.5-10x44 pst or a 6-24x50...
The model in between those, the PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD, might be the most appropriate version for your application.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vort...le/reticle
Drifter
Posts: 194
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
I have the 4-16x50 PST as well, like it. Its big brother, the 6-24 is on my bolt 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 16x power for paper punching and small vamint hunting. Otherwise 10-12 power would be all I would need/want. They are fairly heavy scopes if you are building a lighter rifle.
I agree with skyfish that 16X is excellent for paper punching and varminting, as I have a 16X SWFA scope on my Grendel and it shoots flawlessly
Thanks for everyone's input, I will definitely have to take a look at the Horus scopes.
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
I'm Gemini be sure to check it out first and report back ... :p
I have the Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST and I really like it. Unless you routinely shoot > 500 at paper I'd go with the lower power scope, keep it as simple as possible. For moving targets (hunting, tactical, etc.) you wouldn't want to use the higher magnification anyway.
I prefer the MOA reticle as it is much easier and faster for 500 yards in in.