06-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Ive been thinking about buying a wind meter and was wondering what you guys are using. Thanks in advance.
richard
richard
|
which wind meters are you all using?
|
|
06-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Ive been thinking about buying a wind meter and was wondering what you guys are using. Thanks in advance.
richard
06-16-2012, 04:45 AM
Kestral
06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
ricsmall Wrote:Ive been thinking about buying a wind meter and was wondering what you guys are using. Thanks in advance. Rich: Which ever type you get, make it omnidirectional and ensure the screen is big enoug that you can read the measurement from a few feet away. You will probably need to buy a cheap camera tripod, too. You probably don't need one to give wind chill but a good one will also show average speed, high, and low, along with the curret wind speed. Look at about $100.00 - $150.00. LR1955
06-16-2012, 12:53 PM
thanks tx and 1955,looking hard at kestrel, every body seems to like their stuff
06-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Kestral has a model that syncs with a smart phone via blue tooth. It's also a weather station in addition to a wind meter. You can buy or make a weather vane stand for it, set it out of the way and read the data on you phone at the bench. I wish I had it but bought mine right before they released this model.
06-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I use the shooter app on my Droid 3 it was only $10.00 from the app store
06-16-2012, 09:47 PM
ricsmall Wrote:thanks tx and 1955,looking hard at kestrel, every body seems to like their stuff Not my favorite. I like omnidirectional meters and Kestrel doesn't make one. My favorite in the under 150 range is the Skywatch series, and particularly the Meteos. http://www.ntechusa.com/products/omnidirectional.html
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
06-16-2012, 10:56 PM
bwaites Wrote:Not my favorite. I like omnidirectional meters and Kestrel doesn't make one. My favorite in the under 150 range is the Skywatch series, and particularly the Meteos. Bill: Thanks. It is the Meteos that I have and as you know, it works very well. Guys -- read what Bill said and again what I said earlier. Get a omni-directional wind meter. Wind direction changes rapidly and a omni directional wind meter stays up with such changes. if you get a uni-directional one, you are making a huge mistake. LR1955
06-17-2012, 01:08 AM
great info guys,thanks. Im calling monday and ordering one. The place that carries them is actually 20-30 bucks cheaper than msrp depending on model.thanks again.
06-17-2012, 02:31 AM
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Variable Wrote:For those of us with Kestrels... VB: What happens when the wind shifts the anemometer in a direction where you can't see the screen? LR1955
06-18-2012, 01:19 AM
bwaites Wrote:Not my favorite. I like omnidirectional meters and Kestrel doesn't make one. My favorite in the under 150 range is the Skywatch series, and particularly the Meteos.This may be a better rig than what I use, but I've been happy with my Windtronics which is also omnidirectional. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Wind...meter.html However for those who prefer the Kestrels, I will say that I've seen some very good wind dopers use them and prefer to get the wind speed at a 90 degree angle to the target. They claim that this way they don't have to calculate the value just shoot the effective wind speed. I don't know if I buy this or not because I see them back behind the ready line turning and turning to get the highest velocity and they usually have a questioning look on their faces. Electronics are not allowed at the shooting position in High Power Across the Course competition so when it comes down to it you still need to be able to read the mirage, grass, leaves, bugs and range flags if present. Mirage is by far the most useful to me. Bob
06-18-2012, 01:51 AM
stokes, does this particular one read temperature as well, and have you been using the windtronics for a while?
edit: stokes, not much on description on C.S. website, can this meter be mounted on a tripod? Thanks richard
06-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, I've used it for three years now with good service and I know others that have used them for much longer. It does have an escutcheon on the bottom for affixing to a tripod but does not have temperature sensor. I've never had much of an issue with just logging temp within ten degrees, so I don't see much need for the temp sensor personally but understand that some may see more value.
Bob
06-18-2012, 04:41 AM
LR1955 Wrote:VB: This is best used with a bluetooth version that you can read on your smart phone. Don't have one myself as they released that model right after I bought the one I have now. LR1955 Wrote:VB:Well you guess of course! J/K Or use the bluetooth version (which I don't have yet either-- I'm like Tex-- they waited until after I bought a 4000nv and then they brought out the bluetooth).Maybe I don't shoot enough, or do it in the wrong places, but 180degree wind swings don't happen to me much. I don't even use the vain anyway. I'm kinda like the guys Stokes mentioned. I just hold mine up and guestimate from there.:o
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Kestral 4500.
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|