Posts: 15
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2016
Has anyone here used a Lee Collet die for their 6.5 Grendel? I use them for the other cartridges I load for and I like the results. But I have not used one for semi-auto loading. I have not finished my Grendel and am still buying what I need (or want) for it. Should I get the Lee Collet die for my Grendel?
Thanks for you help.
Posts: 83
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
You will need to run them through a Body Die or a Redding S Die with the bushing removed to bump the shoulder back before using the Lee Collet Die. The Lee Collet Die only sizes the neck. I typically bump the shoulder 0.003" shorter than the brass fired from my rifle.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
JethroBodine Wrote:You will need to run them through a Body Die or a Redding S Die with the bushing removed to bump the shoulder back before using the Lee Collet Die. The Lee Collet Die only sizes the neck. I typically bump the shoulder 0.003" shorter than the brass fired from my rifle.
JB:
You are using a Redding bushing die without the bushing to FL size the brass, then running it into a Lee Collet die to size the neck?
Why not just use the right size bushing in the Redding die and get it done with one pass?
LR-55
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Turk,
Neck sizing in a semi-auto does not work. You will need a full-length die and so the Lee collet won't work. Use that for bolt guns with the stronger leverage you get from bolt handles.
With full-length dies you can set them to bump only .003" which is called 'semi full-length' sizing. This is the best compromise between reliable feeding and case life/accuracy.
Like 55 says, you only need one pass of a full-length sizing die to do this.
Posts: 83
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
LR1955,
I agree with the way you pointed out. It sounded like Turk is trying find a way to use his Lee Collet die which will only size the neck and won't bump the shoulder, which you need in a semi auto. Those are the only options I know of if he's set on using the Lee Collet die.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
JethroBodine Wrote:LR1955,
I agree with the way you pointed out. It sounded like Turk is trying find a way to use his Lee Collet die which will only size the neck and won't bump the shoulder, which you need in a semi auto. Those are the only options I know of if he's set on using the Lee Collet die.
Thanks JB.
Got it now.
LR55
Posts: 15
Threads: 6
Joined: May 2016
I don't have a grendel collet die yet. Anyone have a Grendel Redding bushing die for cheap? What about bushings? I am thinking .288 and .289 in steel. Or should I spring for the Titanium Nitride bushings?
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
12-12-2021, 04:57 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2021, 05:02 PM by Old Bob.)
turk1961 Wrote:I don't have a grendel collet die yet. Anyone have a Grendel Redding bushing die for cheap? What about bushings? I am thinking .288 and .289 in steel. Or should I spring for the Titanium Nitride bushings?
Full Length bushing dies aren't gonna be cheap. I took a look around to see what's available for 6.5 Grendel. This was the least expensive die that was in stock. You'll have to buy bushings separately...
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i...-sizer-die
Bushings:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/d...k-bushings
I'm using a stainless steel .286" bushing in my L.E. Wilson die...
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
turk1961 Wrote:I don't have a grendel collet die yet. Anyone have a Grendel Redding bushing die for cheap? What about bushings? I am thinking .288 and .289 in steel. Or should I spring for the Titanium Nitride bushings?
IIRC, the Lee Grendel Collet die is a new design, that leaves a little bell flare of the case mouth to facilitate bullet feeding into the case. So, if using the new design, I think youll need to crimp afterwards. I wish they would have left well enough alone. Anyway, I cant find any reference to the new design from Lee so maybe they went back to the old tried and true?
Posts: 466
Threads: 49
Joined: Nov 2020
Thats funny, I recieved my collet die in the mail yesterday. I have not tried them out but the collet does not have movement like my other 2 collet sets. The collet will float on both of them and disassembly is a breeze but this one is a pain. The collet will not just fall out of it like my others. Dont know if its a redesign or a bad die out of the box, can anybody confirm ?
Posts: 1,238
Threads: 51
Joined: Dec 2017
Dt219 Wrote:Thats funny, I recieved my collet die in the mail yesterday. I have not tried them out but the collet does not have movement like my other 2 collet sets. The collet will float on both of them and disassembly is a breeze but this one is a pain. The collet will not just fall out of it like my others. Dont know if its a redesign or a bad die out of the box, can anybody confirm ?
If it were me, I would just call them tomorrow, Monday, during business hours. Ive always been able to connect with someone relatively quickly! Get the straight skinny right from the horses mouth!
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Dt219 Wrote:Thats funny, I recieved my collet die in the mail yesterday. I have not tried them out but the collet does not have movement like my other 2 collet sets. The collet will float on both of them and disassembly is a breeze but this one is a pain. The collet will not just fall out of it like my others. Dont know if its a redesign or a bad die out of the box, can anybody confirm ?
Dt,
I use Lee collet dies for neck sizing across three calibres. The collet sticks sometimes on the four fingers and you have to tap it with a hammer to free it up. Over time and use (and lube) the mating surfaces become smooth and this happens less and is less severe. Perhaps it is just this.
Posts: 83
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
DT,
I'm guessing they flared the Collet fingers more on your new set than your other sets. It shouldn't be a problem as long as they close to the correct dimension when you use it. With use the problem may go away.
Posts: 466
Threads: 49
Joined: Nov 2020
Thats what Lee told me. They said the petals must be spread further apart than my other sets. Said use it and it should loosen up
Posts: 466
Threads: 49
Joined: Nov 2020
After just a couple of sizings the collet had some free float to it. No worries
Posts: 259
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2015
I use collets for bolt action where neck sizing can be applied.