11-28-2021, 03:47 AM
What is the factory powder and amount and what primer does Hornady use? Factory load shoots very well out of my rifle, and I am trying to replicate.
|
Hornady Recipe for 123 SST
|
|
11-28-2021, 03:47 AM
What is the factory powder and amount and what primer does Hornady use? Factory load shoots very well out of my rifle, and I am trying to replicate.
11-28-2021, 03:36 PM
Well, hornady brass for starters.
. And the SST of course.Beyond that who knows. Mfrs typically use bulk powders, not the canister ones you see on the shelf. And sometimes from year to year they change the powder. Use a chrony to develop a load that duplicates accuracy and MV of the factory ones, for your barrel, is the only way to really get close.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
A Friend settled on using LeveRevolution powder, CCI 450 primers at around 31.0 grains with 123 grain SST. I use 31.0 grains of CFE223 with CCI 450s in Hornady cases using 123 grain A-Max or 123 grain SST which gave me a load which had comparable accuracy and velocity to factory Hornady ammo.
My Friend shot his 123 grain SST reloads out to 900 meters and the drop was very close or the same as the factory 123 grain SST ammo.
11-28-2021, 07:54 PM
Bjorn Wrote:What is the factory powder and amount and what primer does Hornady use? Factory load shoots very well out of my rifle, and I am trying to replicate. You could try emailing them. In the past they put reloading data on the boxes. If not exact, they could give you the closest powder then refer you to book reloading data. For the most part factory powder is not some unique power.
My best load for the 123 SST so far is 28.5 grains of Accurate 2520 with CCI 450 primers...
The picture is a 3 shot group at 100 yards...
11-28-2021, 11:05 PM
DIANEB Wrote:My best load for the 123 SST so far is 28.5 grains of Accurate 2520 with CCI 450 primers... Thats pretty good for a girl!
11-28-2021, 11:48 PM
Harpoon1 Wrote:Thats pretty good for a girl!LOL Thanks...
11-29-2021, 12:23 AM
Hornady is going to use whatever primers they have. I once bought 2 cases of 123 gr Amax ammo. One case had copper primers; the other had nickel plated primers. I wouldn't be surprised if they use different powders too. Those 2 cases had a 25-30 fps mean velocity difference (measured on the same day). Lot to lot consistency is not one of Hornady's strengths.
Let's go Brandon!
11-29-2021, 03:48 AM
DIANEB Wrote:My best load for the 123 SST so far is 28.5 grains of Accurate 2520 with CCI 450 primers... I've been watching the Mk 262 clone series on the Johnny's Reloading Bench channel. Accurate 2520 gave excellent results. I need to try some.
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
12-14-2021, 03:23 AM
VASCAR2 Wrote:A Friend settled on using LeveRevolution powder, CCI 450 primers at around 31.0 grains with 123 grain SST. I use 31.0 grains of CFE223 with CCI 450s in Hornady cases using 123 grain A-Max or 123 grain SST which gave me a load which had comparable accuracy and velocity to factory Hornady ammo. I have seen several mentions using 450 primers and Leverevolution. Is that a good recommendation for that powder? Would you just see a little less velocity?
12-15-2021, 05:51 PM
The reason many forum members use CCI 450 primers is because of the thicker primer cup. The AR-15 floating firing pin moves during chambering a cartridge. The thicker primer cup is a little safety margin to guard against slam fires. Ive also used CCI 41 primers with the same bullet powder combo and the results were basically the same within the normal standard deviation in velocity. I found CCI 450 primers more often locally and why I stocked up on CCI 450 instead of CCI 41. The Federal Small Rifle AR primer are thicker cups for use in firearms with floating firing pins. Remington magnum and Bench Rest 4 primers have thicker cups.
Id have no reservations running standard small rifle primers with 31.0 grains CFE223 or Leverevolution and a 123 grain bullet in my Cz 527 6.5 Grendel. I dont think you can specifically say CFE223 produces more or less velocity than Leverevolution. I think every firearm is unique enough youd just have to test what works best in your particular firearm. I bought CFE223 powder because it was available locally for a good price. The one LGS which had Leverevolution was a couple dollars more per pound than CFE223 so I never tested it. |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|