Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
Purchased 2 lbs. of X-Terminator and 300 Speer 90 gr. TNT HP projectiles today. Also purchased 300 New 6.5 Grendel cases (PPU) which use a large primer. They were the only cases I could find.
I did some searching on here for the X-Terminator powder and a few years back some members were using it with good success, until better powder came around. They were saying it's ok for the Grendel, just use projectiles 100 gr. or less because the powder is very fast. Just need to work up some load data now. And if the powder doesn't work out there's always my 5.56 rifle.
If someone has a good load for this setup, I'll be happy to look at it.
I started this Grendel project back in March when I first ordered my barrel then started to order everything else. My barrel showed up in late August and now my rifle is complete.
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
IIRC some posts on here have said that 2230 and Xterminator are the same powder... If so then 2230 load listings might give some insight as well.
So work up loads whatever you shoot.
On the other hand, a post on the forum we love to hate, says there are a couple differences now as of Jan 2016:
"Accurate 2230 and X-Terminator were the exact same powder up until January 2016. Now A2230 uses a change in grain geometry to be much more temperature stable. X-Terminator uses a new chemical composition to limit copper fouling. Their burn-rates remain the same."
So work up loads whatever you shoot.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB
RAMSHOT X-TERMINATOR
85gr Sierra HP 27.5gr 2,629fps 30.6gr 2,889fps 51,888 psi 2.130"
95 HDY V-MAX 26.4gr 2,509fps 29.4gr 2,766fps 51,364 psi 2.200"
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
11-23-2021, 08:29 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2021, 08:46 PM by Old Bob.)
From Speer's online data for 90gr TNT bullets. Doesn't list X-Terminator but there's some good powders to use in this data.
https://reloadingdata.speer.com/download...del_90.pdf
Nosler data for their 90gr Varmaggeden bullet. Lists X-Terminator...
https://www.nosler.com/65-grendel
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
Happy2Shoot Wrote:WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB
RAMSHOT X-TERMINATOR
85gr Sierra HP 27.5gr 2,629fps 30.6gr 2,889fps 51,888 psi 2.130"
95 HDY V-MAX 26.4gr 2,509fps 29.4gr 2,766fps 51,364 psi 2.200"
Forgot to add that Accurate 2230 and X-Terminator have the same load data in the Western Powders Handloading Guide 8.0. So I guess they are the same, or at least same enough.
Posts: 480
Threads: 60
Joined: Oct 2020
11-23-2021, 11:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021, 12:35 AM by DIANEB.)
I've had good results with the 90 TNT and X-terminator 30.0 and 30.4 grains with cci 450's...
Also my rifle is a bolt action Uintah upper...
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
There are multiple published loads using X-Terminator for 6.5 Grendel in the Grendel Handbooks, mostly Western Powders data.
Make sure to work up with start loads since youre using different brass with Large Rifle Primers. I have hundreds of once-fired old gen PPU brass with LRP as well, and just dont use it other than for making dummy cartridges.
X-Terminator is great for 85gr-100gr, especially 90gr TNT.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 2,062
Threads: 88
Joined: May 2016
Having shot around 2000 rounds of converted 7.62x39 brass in my 243 LBC, I can attest the LRP makes faster powders have their pressure peak come earlier since more powder initially ignites. I'd start a grain lower than normal and given the way that the pressure curve gets altered, don't expect to be able to achieve book max velocities you see for SRP brass. Some of my best loads have been around book starting load.
Let's go Brandon!
Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
To everyone who came to help - Thank you!
Now to get some loads worked up, but first I need to properly break in my barrel.
Happy Thanksgiving