Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
ar-comp ladder question
#1
i have been researching to develop a ladder for ar comp and 123gr sst
speer lists a 120gr with 25.3gr giving max pressure
quickload and grt agree with this

i see people posting 27gr loads or higher without pressure signs

i was thinking of a 10round ladder with .3gr increments
just wondering if 24gr was too high a start, or not high enough?
will be using new hornady brass with federal 205mar primers

edit: will be from an ar with 20" bartlein barrel, pf bolt, toolcraft carrier
Reply
#2
Might mention what you are going to be shooting it out of, the advice you get may vary based on that. You will get away with more in a bolt action.
Reply
#3
updated post with firearm info
Reply
#4
I ran AR comp with 120 Gold Dot and went from 27-28.2 in .3 increments. CCI 450 primer, hornady twice fired at mag length.

20” gas gun. I had no pressure signs, but shot 1-1/2 groups across the ladders and never tried other bullets.

Not a lot of data out there. Start low and work up. YMMV
Reply
#5
Haven’t had my morning coffee yet so don’t recall where we got started with our loads on here, maybe do a search for the early threads. But all of my 123 class cup-core bullets I’ve found nodes around 27.8-28.2, 20-22” barrels. I think I started my ladders somewhere in the 26’s. I can’t speak to the Speer data, I’ve seen it and well, it just doesn’t fit with what I observe. Couple of other well known guys on here also do the 120 pro hunter around that load, iirc. I couldn’t really get the gold dots to shoot so don’t load them much, no offense to the bullet. At comp is my go to for the 123 sst.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#6
hhhhmmm. maybe i will do one long ladder, .3 gr. single charge just to find the max pressure i can shoot safely
start @24 take it to 28 or 29
Reply
#7
Don’t go to 29. Plan on no more than 28.2-ish, watch mv and case/primers. Some can get to 28.4 but I would not set my sights on anything above that. 29 will be a waste, you’ll have to pull them.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#8
For a 20” barrel, the max you should see is somewhere low 2500’s, from 2475 to 2525. Don’t push it harder than that.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#9
finally tested a ladder
i will do a .1 mini ladder in the yellow area[ATTACH=CONFIG]17361[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#10
I load 27.6 AR Comp at 2.260. I started at 26.4 and worked in .3 increments to 28.0. 22” barrel 1/8 twist. I need to work it up again. I added a comp and my groups opened up a little. 123g ELD
Reply
#11
FWIW - I worked up to 28.0 gr. AR-Comp with 125 gr. Nosler Partition getting 2550 fps out of 24” barrel CZ-527.
That was where velocity leveled off for me. I went past that to 28.2 gr. & 28.4 gr. - no velocity increase so I kept it to 28.0.
Reply
#12
I too am trying to get to 2450 or 2500 with AR Comp and either 120g Gold Dots or 123g ELD Ms 27.6g I think is my stopping point as accuracy fell off and ejector swipes became noticeable on new Hornady brass and CCI 450 primers
Reply
#13
Gas guns 18" Wilson Combat and 16" Group buy barrels.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)