Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
near disaster
#1
They say that in any disaster there are a chain of events and if any link is broken the disaster doesn't happen. Here is my chain link by link:

I went to the range today primarily to do some 223 shooting but brought the Grendel upper along to do some accuracy testing with Hornady 123 SST factory. The 223 shooting went off uneventfully. I changed out uppers and began shooting the Hornadys. After a couple of 3 shot groups I decided to fire a full 10 round group. Here in NJ we are restricted to 10 round mags. I have a ASC 10 and I found it wouldn't load but 9 rounds. I manually chambered a round then inserted the mag with 9 more. First shot went off normally. Second was a click. Knowing that the Grendel has a reputation for unreliable magazines I presumed it was a mag problem. I manually worked the charging handle and tried again. Another click. Taking the rifle out of the rest I very carefully brought the handle to the rear and let it fly forward. It stripped a round but failed to chamber. Dropping the mag I had to bang the butt stock while pulling on the handle to extract the round. Here is one of those links...I was using Caldwell bras catcher and did not see the case when it came out. I reinserted the magazine and cycled the charging handle again. Another failure to chamber. I removed and looked for some blockage in the rifle and my blood ran cold. There was a bullet stuck in the lands. The first attempt to manually charge the rifle had pulled the bullet out of the case and stuck it in the lands. Had I been able to chamber the rifle it would have been catastrophic. The bullet that got lodged in the lands had been damaged in some way and I wonder if the heavy resistance in the magazine had presented the cartridge to the feed ramps in a crooked manner. I have included pics of both the two gouge marks on bullet and case ( I've inverted the bullet so one can see the marks align) and a a second pic of what appears to be damage to the opposite side of the bullet done by the rifleing.
The brass catcher was one of the links as I never saw a case with a unfired primer eject. The 10 round magazine that struggled with 9 rounds was a second. My checking for a blockage I believe was the broken link that prevented a tragedy.
Be careful guys, take noting for granted and be very suspicious of anything out of the normal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16633[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16634[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Reply
#2
WHEW !!!,,,Thanks for the report, it may well keep someone else from disaster. I have the caldwell catcher that swings open, and has the zipper alsol. I may start leaving the zipper open so the cases can fall out onto the bench. I have done that unknowingly a time or two. If I'm working on a new load, I like to look at the cases one at a time as they are fired, to check for problems, and that would make that easier. I also leave the caldwell "swung" open to check ejection pattern sometimes. I like the brass catcher, but I wish it had a bit more substantial mesh and zipper. Glad you "dodged the bullet" Rolleyes ,,,,sorry couldn't resist. Smile Hope your good luck continues.
Reply
#3
snell Wrote:They say that in any disaster there are a chain of events and if any link is broken the disaster doesn't happen. Here is my chain link by link:

I went to the range today primarily to do some 223 shooting but brought the Grendel upper along to do some accuracy testing with Hornady 123 SST factory. The 223 shooting went off uneventfully. I changed out uppers and began shooting the Hornadys. After a couple of 3 shot groups I decided to fire a full 10 round group. Here in NJ we are restricted to 10 round mags. I have a ASC 10 and I found it wouldn't load but 9 rounds. I manually chambered a round then inserted the mag with 9 more. First shot went off normally. Second was a click. Knowing that the Grendel has a reputation for unreliable magazines I presumed it was a mag problem. I manually worked the charging handle and tried again. Another click. Taking the rifle out of the rest I very carefully brought the handle to the rear and let it fly forward. It stripped a round but failed to chamber. Dropping the mag I had to bang the butt stock while pulling on the handle to extract the round. Here is one of those links...I was using Caldwell bras catcher and did not see the case when it came out. I reinserted the magazine and cycled the charging handle again. Another failure to chamber. I removed and looked for some blockage in the rifle and my blood ran cold. There was a bullet stuck in the lands. The first attempt to manually charge the rifle had pulled the bullet out of the case and stuck it in the lands. Had I been able to chamber the rifle it would have been catastrophic. The bullet that got lodged in the lands had been damaged in some way and I wonder if the heavy resistance in the magazine had presented the cartridge to the feed ramps in a crooked manner. I have included pics of both the two gouge marks on bullet and case ( I've inverted the bullet so one can see the marks align) and a a second pic of what appears to be damage to the opposite side of the bullet done by the rifleing.
The brass catcher was one of the links as I never saw a case with a unfired primer eject. The 10 round magazine that struggled with 9 rounds was a second. My checking for a blockage I believe was the broken link that prevented a tragedy.
Be careful guys, take noting for granted and be very suspicious of anything out of the normal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16633[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16634[/ATTACH]

Glad your ok.

Now pull that barrel and return to manufacturer for having a short throat. No factory ammo should reach the lands. And that us the cause of the issue you had today.
Reply
#4
Not Grendel but still a close call.
Chronographing my 9mm G34 and .357 barreled G35.
Both pistols on the bench.
Guess what?[ATTACH=CONFIG]16635[/ATTACH]
Lucky the first bullet did not get stuck in the barrel.
should not of dismissed the low chronograph reading.
On a positive note the G35 with 40 cal magazine fired and operated perfectly with the 9mm loads.
For those interested this particular load clocked 1165 fps in the G34 and 84 fps in the G35 with the 357 Sig barrel.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#5
Not Grendel but still a close call.
Chronographing my 9mm G34 and .357 barreled G35.
Both pistols on the bench.
Guess what?[ATTACH=CONFIG]16635[/ATTACH]
Lucky the first bullet did not get stuck in the barrel.
should not of dismissed the low chronograph reading.
On a positive note the G35 with 40 cal magazine fired and operated perfectly with the 9mm loads.
For those interested this particular load clocked 1165 fps in the G34 and 840 fps in the G35 with the 357 Sig barrel.
Reply
#6
Here is my "fire formed" brass.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16636[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#7
Quite scary and a good reminder to pay attention when shooting and to learn the characteristics of your equipment so you can recognize odd behavior before it results in a tragedy. Most stoppages I've ever experienced in a rifle were from magazines that were capable of being overloaded and the rifle choked on it.

I am surprised that powder didn't fly everywhere when the case was ejected.
Reply
#8
Cotay Wrote:Quite scary and a good reminder to pay attention when shooting and to learn the characteristics of your equipment so you can recognize odd behavior before it results in a tragedy. Most stoppages I've ever experienced in a rifle were from magazines that were capable of being overloaded and the rifle choked on it.

I am surprised that powder didn't fly everywhere when the case was ejected.

Cotay:

Same thought here. When this happens the powder really flies.

What I do is to push up on the magazine to make sure it is locked and look at the ejection port when I pull the charging handle or slide on a pistol back to make sure a piece of brass comes out and if it didn't fire that the piece of brass still has the bullet attached. I also look to see the next round does get stripped and chambers. If it goes part way in and stops, I see it and know a bullet is lodged in the chamber. However I never get that far because I check my rifle brass after charging to make sure every piece has powder and that the levels are as equal as I can see with my eye. With a progressive it pays to have a low charge alarm on one of the stations.

LR55
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)