08-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Please recommend a guide to reloading for the beginner, and if possible provide a master list of all the equipment that would be needed. I wish to determine if this is "for me" or not.
|
Beginner guide to reloading?
|
|
08-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Please recommend a guide to reloading for the beginner, and if possible provide a master list of all the equipment that would be needed. I wish to determine if this is "for me" or not.
08-17-2020, 02:25 PM
this my standard response as someone just getting into it
1. buy 1, 2 or more manuals. i bough the lyman and the lee, another came with my press, i think its speer. 2. read the front sections at least twice. 3. use that info to make a list of things. check out gavintoob on youtube and johnnys reloading bench johnny actually has a series on reloading for the grendel note: materials to reload are in short supply at the moment. especially primers
just some targets for printing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
08-17-2020, 03:53 PM
What mdram said Brownells also has a series on reloading
08-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Johnny's reloading Bench has a series titled a beginners guide to reloading. Talks about equipment etc.
See this question a lot on here and other places. Several years ago I listed out most of what will be needed and what it is used for on another site. This is the post I started it with
Quote:Some information for those new to reloading or thinking about getting into reloading. While not complete it is a good start on our ideas of what is needed and some of our thoughts. this list is for Metallic cartridge reloading (Rifle/Pistol) The list is not complete but in reality with that you can get started, at some point soon I will be editing that to include more and new common tools that I did not list. Heck I started with a Lee Loader for the 30-30 and loaded MOA ammo with that little kit.
08-17-2020, 11:42 PM
Disciple Wrote:Please recommend a guide to reloading for the beginner, and if possible provide a master list of all the equipment that would be needed. I wish to determine if this is "for me" or not. I recommend you run some searches in the Reloading forum because you are not the first one to ask about a beginners guide sort of thing. There is no 'beginners' guide to reloading. What you do to load your first round of ammo is the same thing you will do for all ammunition you reload during your reloading career. I don't recommend you spend a cent on a reloading manual. Or, find one for a dollar at a flea market or used book store and read it. Don't worry how old it is. The process has not changed for over a century. Or, save your money and go to the web site of the bullet or powder company and most have a reloading guide. And reloading data. I am sure there are guys here who can direct you to very good videos of guys reloading ammo. Look at a number of them and note the steps that are all the same. They will be the same for you too. When you are ready to buy gear, search the Reloading forum again because the topic of what gear to get and what to avoid has been covered numerous times. The latest one is only a month or two old. LR55
08-18-2020, 12:50 AM
I did a search on the internet using "Reloading Metallic Rifle Cartridges". I weeded through about fifteen guides and choose the top two for the process and the bottom for what not to do.
RCBS has a good beginners guide. https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-how-to-reload/...ading.html Here is another one that is more in depth than the RCBS one above. http://www.uniquetek.com/store/696296/up..._Guide.pdf This one is a decent on on common mistakes made by reloaders. https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/...akes/99612 My advice is not to get OCD about reloading. Follow the guides and use safe loads and you will be fine. LR55
08-18-2020, 09:31 AM
I agree with what the others have stated above. Buy a kit if you decide it's for you. But make sure you buy a single stage press kit. The best kit out there IMHO is the Rockchucker Supreme by RCBS. Please do not start with a LEE press or kit. Their quality has suffered lately and you don't want problems with a press or a die when you are just starting out as it makes it very difficult to figure out problems.
However, with all the advice being given, I would read and watch and learn as much as you can stand but don't do anything regarding a purchase. Even a kit purchase, until supplies come back. Right now, it is very difficult to find the components needed to reload if you don't have anything to start out with. Your wait may last well into Spring of next year. This gives you time to ponder your purchase or decision to join the reloaders circle. It's a very fine and rewarding hobby but right now is not the time to be a buyer!
08-18-2020, 02:24 PM
Learning how to reload/handload will make you a millionaire provided you start out as a billionaire lmao.
Best advice I can give is, dive in head first, dont buy the cheaper more entry level parts/tools, dont buy parts/tools with the mindset of I can upgrade later or what if I dont like it. Step up buy the better parts/tools, if you dont like it you have a better chance of making your money back on resale and if you stay with it you won't have to spend more money to upgrade.
08-18-2020, 02:40 PM
fyi: rcbs is having a rebate sale atm. spend 400, get 100 back.
check the terms for things that are not included https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Home/Brand/6
just some targets for printing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
08-18-2020, 03:54 PM
A5BLASTER Wrote:Learning how to reload/handload will make you a millionaire provided you start out as a billionaire lmao. This is extremely sound advice. If you cheap out with equipment early, you WILL spend more when you realize how much better the more expensive stuff is. Seriously, if you don't like it, sell it on here, people are always looking.
08-19-2020, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone.
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|