Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Need a LFP and load data for Mule Deer hunt by October
#1
I've got two young boys with Mule Deer tags and the season opens in October. I've stocked up with about a thousand target bullets last fall but procrastinated getting the hunting bullets. I was intending to use Barnes 100 grain TTSX or possibly the 115 grain TAC-TX (haven't seen them available as a component for order yet). I've had the 100's on backorder for a while now but have some doubt I'll see them in time. I started looking for alternatives. Of course I've read the sticky on LFP and there is some good data in there.

I favor lighter bullets around 100 grains for the flat trajectory because the setup is for MPBR. We don't have a rangefinder, and I'm trying to keep it simple. We'll also be attempting to get within 100 yards, but it's open country where we'll be hunting. Even so, this is their first deer hunt, there should be plenty of deer (they drew a great unit), so we're not going to be pushing the range past 150 or 200 yards at the most. As it is, we ought to have enough velocity to make the lighter, tougher bullets work but we'd also be within a range where the softer 115, 118 grain etc. aren't going to drop too much from our 36 yard zero.

The powder I have is H335. I have 4 pounds and I'm not likely to get anything else at this point, especially not CFE223 or 8208XBR.

24" barrrel on a CZ 527.

I see Cutting Edge 105 gr. Maximus

and

Cavity Back MKZ in 105 grain and the softer 118 grain.

Any advice?
Reply
#2
i assume from the post you need to run LFP?

if not, and are looking for a 100gr. bullet try 100gr. Nosler Partition.

otherwise you might call around and see who has 100gr. TTSX they can get out the door to you tomorrow.
good luck.
-tdbru
Reply
#3
Midsouth shooters supply says is has the Barnes 120 tac x in stock, sounds like it would work? https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i...l-50-count
Edit: see this post, the tac x might not expand enough at grendel velocities: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...el-results
Reply
#4
You could use the 110 Copper Controlled Chaos from Lehigh. Shoots good groups out of my 12” & 16”. Load data for H335 on their website. They had a 95 grain brass version which wasn’t so great...

https://www.lehighdefense.com/lehigh-def...ta-library

In stock at Graf...

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/78446
Reply
#5
Did you try ammoseek.com to search for those... I’d definitely use the 100 ttsx, I can get 2700 from my 20”, the cz ought to give you more with longer barrel. Also Barnes has factory loads of the 115 tac-tx you can try.
i had some 110 contr chaos, one shooter on here had them but not real good results. The 95 is definitely out, it is just solid brass and doesn’t expand at all.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#6
+1 on the Controlled Chaos 110gr. Haven't got to kill anything with them yet, put they're shooting 3" group(5 shots) at 200 yds from my 12.5" pistol setup. Great reviews on it too. They're in stock at Midway for $40/100. Good hunting to you and your sons. Great to see someone getting their kids into the great outdoors and more importantly hunting with them.
Reply
#7
stead Wrote:I've got two young boys with Mule Deer tags and the season opens in October. I've stocked up with about a thousand target bullets last fall but procrastinated getting the hunting bullets. I was intending to use Barnes 100 grain TTSX or possibly the 115 grain TAC-TX (haven't seen them available as a component for order yet). I've had the 100's on backorder for a while now but have some doubt I'll see them in time. I started looking for alternatives. Of course I've read the sticky on LFP and there is some good data in there.

I favor lighter bullets around 100 grains for the flat trajectory because the setup is for MPBR. We don't have a rangefinder, and I'm trying to keep it simple. We'll also be attempting to get within 100 yards, but it's open country where we'll be hunting. Even so, this is their first deer hunt, there should be plenty of deer (they drew a great unit), so we're not going to be pushing the range past 150 or 200 yards at the most. As it is, we ought to have enough velocity to make the lighter, tougher bullets work but we'd also be within a range where the softer 115, 118 grain etc. aren't going to drop too much from our 36 yard zero.

The powder I have is H335. I have 4 pounds and I'm not likely to get anything else at this point, especially not CFE223 or 8208XBR.

24" barrrel on a CZ 527.

I see Cutting Edge 105 gr. Maximus

and

Cavity Back MKZ in 105 grain and the softer 118 grain.

Any advice?

I would go with one of the bullets from Maker for their reduced min expansion speed over the barnes bullets.
Reply
#8
I received notice that my backorder of Barnes bullets is shipped. So while I still see vendors advertising out of stock condition, apparently unable to keep up with demand, it appears Barnes must be shipping something out rather than nothing at all.
Reply
#9
Cavity back bullets would be another if the Barnes are not to your satisfaction. https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/produc....5-105.htm
Reply
#10
From what I’ve seen I’d go cavity back vice chaos if I had to choose between those 2.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)