Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Powder suggestions
#1
My gun seems to prefer h335 over 8208xbr and ar comp so far. My barrel seems to like the lighter bullets so I’m looking for powders that aren’t as temperature sensitive as h335 but similar performance. I live in Indiana so this will be my yote bullet for all seasons. The barrel is a 12.5 ballistics advantage Hanson. Bullet will be under 100 grains more than likely the 90 tnt.
Reply
#2
H322
Reply
#3
Benchmark maybe?
Reply
#4
+1 on H322 from someone who took A5’s advice on using it.
Reply
#5
Thanks guys. I’ll pick some up.
Reply
#6
I have been experimenting with H335 and Power Pro Varmint.
H335 has given me lower velocity, with equal loads, but double digit SD.
Power Pro has given higher velocity, with the same loads, but much more consistency, (single digit SD).
Power Pro has been much more accurate, giving consistent sub moa accuracy, whereas H335 has given consistent 1.5 moa and above.
That's my experience with a PSA 18" upper, shooting Sierra 107gr TMK, and 130gr TGK.
Reply
#7
Looks like for 90 grains & up Benchmark should be a consideration.
Reply
#8
I like 8208 best.But it’s hard to find. H335 is my go to powder. Works well with everything and it cost $25 at Academy.However, due to the panic Academy doesn’t have any Powder lately.Good thing I had several H335 1 pound containers at home.
Reply
#9
I added Benchmark and H322. I liked the h355 but not crazy about the temperature sensitivity for what I do. 8208 and ar comp don’t seem to agree with my barrel.
Reply
#10
For bullets lighter than 120 grains, I prefer H322.
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Reply
#11
I have quick loads and was looking for a powder for 107gr bullets in a 12.5" barrel. The best powder I could find was AR-Comp. You can pretty much go with 100% fill and get 100% powder burn in a 12.5 at 2410 fps. Getting 100% powder burn from the short barrel was important to me to keep the flash down. Of course, it also gave one of the best velocities. H322 would probably be my second choice with around 97% fill and 96% burn at 2350 fps.

Once I found a few viable loads I started ordering powder and parts so I haven't actually tried any of this yet, but I didn't think it made sense to build a short barrel 6.5 without having a good load to play with. I've found quick loads to be very reliable. I once watched a Johnny's Reloading Bench vid with him shooting 6.5 Grendel and I was entering his load data into Quick Loads and those results matched his results very closely. I was seeing at most 20fps difference.
Reply
#12
Other than the shooting times article, does anyone have much experience with Accurate 2495? Since there's no H4895 to be found, right now, some searches say those two are similar.
Reply
#13
Powder Valley has IMR 4895 in stock. If you have primers I think you'll be able to find powder with a little perseverance. I think powder is getting to be much more available because those that don't have primers aren't buying powder. I've been able to buy all the powders I want after watching for a week or two for it to become available.
Reply
#14
another caliber Wrote:Powder Valley has IMR 4895 in stock. If you have primers I think you'll be able to find powder with a little perseverance. I think powder is getting to be much more available because those that don't have primers aren't buying powder. I've been able to buy all the powders I want after watching for a week or two for it to become available.

This mirrors what I'm seeing too. Primers are scarce, but powder is being replenished rather regularly. My local store has pretty much anything IMR, Hodgdon, or Alliant makes. Sadly, very few Western Powders products...just some pistol powders, but sadly no rifle powders like TAC.

I picked up more CFE223 and 8208 this morning but again passed on a fresh shipment of CCI 400s. I know CCI is working around the clock, so I'm holding out for some 450s or BR4s.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)