Greetings from Pennsylvania!
#1
Hey everybody! I've had a Grendel for about a year now, but have only been shooting it for about 3 months. I'm getting into the grendel game because I want something affordable to reload, accurate to about 600 yards, and capable of taking whitetail at 3-400 yards. I am just learning to handload in the hopes of getting good accuracy from my gun, and figured I would start here!
Thanks!
Reply
#2
Welcome to the horde sir.
Reply
#3
Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast
Reply
#4
Welcome to the clan, pFTW, from the great nation of Texas! Tell us about your build. And, we're always anxious for pixs!
Reply
#5
Welcome to the forum pyroguyFTW!
Reply
#6
It's nothing special, just a Palmetto 20" upper on a Palmetto lower with a CMC trigger and a BCM grip. I'm trying to find a budget oriented stock for it(even better if it has a monopod), and want to get a 2 stage to replace the 1 stage it has now. Scope is an Athlon Optics 6-24x50. Currently it's not grouping as well as I would like, holding about 3 MOA with Barnaul steel case and 2.5 MOA with Hornady Black.

I've assembled everything I need to handload rounds in search of better accuracy, but I figured I'd get joined up in here before I start going crazy. I'll get pics up soon!
Reply
#7
Check the barrel to upper assembly. With that upper, the Hornady should typically give you under an MOA. With the steel stuff, bets are off.
Reply
#8
When you say barrel to upper assembly, do you mean the barrel nut? I have my scope on the handguard and on the receiver, as any other positioning with my rings would have the scope too far back.

I think my two biggest obstables are the single stage trigger(though it is 3.5lbs) and the stock. It's a standard mil-spec stock and I've been looking for something with a better cheekweld and a monopod if I can find it for less than $100, but I really don't want to spend more than $40 if it doesn't have a monopod/adapter.
Currently I am resting on a bipod up front, and a sandbag with a balled up rag to rest the stock on in the back, but it's a little unstable. I've had years of experience on just a bipod/balled up t-shirt/dirt pile when woodchuck hunting as a kid, but that was also a .22/.17 and the farthest I was ever shooting was 150/200 respectively.
Reply
#9
Get your scope off of the handguard! There are offset scope mounts that let you keep the same eye relief but mounts solely to the upper receiver. Your setup should be able to yield better results, you have a mechanical issue of some sort. Were it mine, I would break down the upper assembly and re-build it. Make sure the mounting surface for the barrel is square to the receiver, "glue" in the barrel and torque the barrel / bqarrel nut properly. If you are unfamiliar with trueing the upper and glueing the barrel, there are a number of threads across these pages that explain both. Makes an incredible difference.
Reply
#10
I think I'm gonna stay away from messing with the receiver to barrel connection for the time being and try to fix my scope issue first. I just got an offset mount that should be long enough to bring the scope where I had it, and I'll snug everything up and torque it to the proper specs before trying to print a group again.
Reply
#11
Welcome aboard.

If you hand load, the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks will be a great start for you.

[Image: 65grendelhandbookvol1_2.png]
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#12
LRRPF52 Wrote:Welcome aboard.

If you hand load, the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks will be a great start for you.

[Image: 65grendelhandbookvol1_2.png]

Thank you! I may pick those up, I've got four kinds of powders now and 100/123/129 gr pills that are ready for loading.

Also, I just hit the range today after getting my new optic mount and I seem to be way more consistent with my hits. Granted, I only put 10 Barnaul rounds downrange and was shooting at a hand drawn 1" dot on an envelope at 100, but it was consistent enough to swing to some steel at 300 and hit it. I just need to dial it in now so I can actually figure out the drop better.
Reply
#13
Welcome from the PNW. Sounds like you have built a fun one. Have fun with it.
Reply
#14
Welcome from Georgia.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)