New Grendel Hunter
#1
Hi all,

I just built a couple of Ar's in 6.5 Grendel. A 20 inch and a 24 inch. I have taken 3 deer with three shots with Federal Fusion ammo. Shots at 50, 75, and 260 yards.

The Federal Fusion Ammo is working well on deer.

Any thoughts on any better ammo for deer or hogs? All three deer dropped straight down with lung shots.
Reply
#2
Welcome to the horde sir.

If the ammo your useing is working, don't fix it lol.
Reply
#3
The 6.5 Grendel seems to kill cleaner than 308? Deer run less? Any thoughts on this?
Reply
#4
I'm a cns type shooter. I shoot for the high shoulder/spine so I know they will drop in their tracks.

The few vital zone shots I have taken with the grendel have resulted in very shot runs ( less then 20 yards) are have dropped in their tracks.

Doesn't matter speed are bullet size there isn't anymore chance a vital shit will drop them be it grendel,270,308,7mm whatever,25 cal whatever.

It's nice when it happens but it's not a 100% thing with any cartridge.

High shoulder/spine shots that take out their cns is 100% drop shots. That's why I like bonded and copper bullets

Just how I look at it.
Reply
#5
bbell Wrote:Hi all,

I just built a couple of Ar's in 6.5 Grendel. A 20 inch and a 24 inch. I have taken 3 deer with three shots with Federal Fusion ammo. Shots at 50, 75, and 260 yards.

The Federal Fusion Ammo is working well on deer.

Any thoughts on any better ammo for deer or hogs? All three deer dropped straight down with lung shots.

Don't expect a double lung shot to drop a hog in place, not without the bullet going through the spine in the process. Instead, expect the hog to run 40-100 yards before crashing, maybe more if you don't get good damage on the 2nd lung. If you don't do significant CNS damage (brain, brain stem, spinal cord), expect the hog to run. You can get said damage by direct impact (the bullet hitting those structures or pushing broken bone into those structures) and if you are lucky, by indirect impact from hydrostatic shock (causing distant brain, brain stem damage) or hydraulic shock (causing local damage long the wound channel).

Fusions, like Gold Dots, tend to open up and make nice tunnels through hogs. If you want to eat the hog, then they are good ammo choices that don't shed much weight going through the animal, as are numerous other bullets. If you are just wishing to kill hogs, go with something that comes apart and and generally does a lot more internal damage along with getting good penetration such as Hornady SST 123 gr., Speer TNT 90 gr., Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. There are other choices as well, but these are the three that I have found that work very well, the Berger being the overall most destructive and being the heaviest, having the least flat trajectory.
Kill a hog. Save the planet.
My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Reply
#6
Welcome to the forum bbell!
Reply
#7
Nice to have you with us........


We are a very visual group.....Love pictures of dead animals and 6.5 Grendel guns.

This forum is far from your typical AR forum with a bunch of near idiots on it........no flaming here

Ask what?s on your mind......

To remain an active member past your 100th post, you must get the Grendel mascot tattooed on your left shoulder.

Welcome again from Georgia


Chuck
Reply
#8
Welcome from the PNW
Reply
#9
Welcome to the clan, BB, from the great nation of Texas! Looks like you are off to a great start! What part of the world are you in?
Reply
#10
Welcome aboard. Double Naught Spy's advice comes from over 1000 hogs killed with 6.5 Grendel and a wide variety of ammunition over the years.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#11
Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast
I used to use 125 g TNT in my 300 BO hunting FL hogs .I been using 90 grain spear TNT in my 6.5 Grendel with H335 powder. I aim under the ear. Drops em every time. Average shot is within 100 yards never more than 150.
American eagle Varmint and predator 50 packs use. 6.5 Grendel 90 grain Speer TNT bullets,if you prefer factory ammo.
Reply
#12
Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast
I used to use 125 g TNT in my 300 BO hunting FL hogs .I been using 90 grain spear TNT in my 6.5 Grendel with H335 powder. I aim under the ear,neck area.Drops em every time. Average shot is within 100 yards never more than 150.
American eagle Varmint and predator 50 packs use. 6.5 Grendel 90 grain Speer TNT bullets,if you prefer factory ammo.
Reply
#13
Welcome to the 6.5 Grendel family. I have an 18 inch barrel shooting SST 123gr. First buck, 120 lbs. at 100 yards. Bullet entered front of right shoulder, exited front of left, DRT. Second buck, 140 lbs. at 205 yards through heart and right elbow, ran 100 yards, DRT. Excellent blood trail. First doe, 130 lbs. Entered behind left shoulder, exit behind right shoulder, ran 10 yards, DRT. I wasn't sure SST bullets would give me pass through and blood trails, as I was coming down from a 7mmRemMag (too much meat loss). These results have sold me. Will try it on hogs this spring (neck/ear shots only). If you like the results of the Fusions, stay with them. If it ain't broke.....
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)