Posts: 92
Threads: 18
Joined: Aug 2017
What are your experiences? My one issue with Vortex is how many fan boys they have, and people that hype them up without knowing where they really stack up versus the competition, so its hard to get an honest opinion. I currently run a Vortex HST 6-24x50, and it works ok, but after about 16 power, it leaves a lot to be desired. After 20x if your eye isn?t lined up absolutely perfectly, its really hard to see your target, and on a hot day with mirages, you can forget about it. I?m looking at replacing it with the PST Gen 2 5-25x50, as I can get it for around $800, which is as much as I?m comfortable paying. All the important stuff to me is pretty much the same between them- magnification, reticle... but glass quality and the eye box are impossible to quantify on a spec sheet. The big question is, will I notice a significant difference in clarity at high magnification?
Posts: 3,341
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
DL42 Wrote:What are your experiences? My one issue with Vortex is how many fan boys they have, and people that hype them up without knowing where they really stack up versus the competition, so its hard to get an honest opinion. I currently run a Vortex HST 6-24x50, and it works ok, but after about 16 power, it leaves a lot to be desired. After 20x if your eye isn?t lined up absolutely perfectly, its really hard to see your target, and on a hot day with mirages, you can forget about it. I?m looking at replacing it with the PST Gen 2 5-25x50, as I can get it for around $800, which is as much as I?m comfortable paying. All the important stuff to me is pretty much the same between them- magnification, reticle... but glass quality and the eye box are impossible to quantify on a spec sheet. The big question is, will I notice a significant difference in clarity at high magnification?
Unless the glass is different somehow -- which I doubt -- the answer is most likely a 'no'. You won't notice a difference in clarity. Mirage is never consistent. It constantly changes due to wind, sun, and humidity. You can see it change the resolution instantly and continuously. Given both are Vortex products and both are similar in features and cost (except for the illuminated reticule which adds at least $100.00) so I would expect both to have the same clarity.
So, it may come down to your intent for the optic. Get the one that suits your needs.
LR55
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
I have an older Viper 6-20x50, and also the scope you're looking at (pst genii 5-25). If the question is, will the clarity degrade at high zoom similar to the HST, then i'd say no? It isn't as noticeable to me as it is in the Viper. But it is there. And, one of my biggest dislikes of the pst is that it gives me terrible eye fatigue when i'm behind it for longer periods of time at high magnification. I think is just a function of the lower light transmission on a mid range scope.
Posts: 34
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
My experience with Vortex scopes has been "meh". I like the 1-8 strike eagle for it's price point, but wouldn't suggest that it is any better than my 1-6 Primary Arms. My Razor HD LH 1.5-8 is actually pretty decent, but the main reason for buying it was light weight on a handy bolt action carbine. All the other Vortex scopes I've tried in the original PST and HST have long since been sold.
I don't think there is a better scope than the SWFA HD 5-20.
Posts: 221
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2017
The glass is significantly better in the Gen 2 vs the HST. I have a 6-24X Gen 1 PST and my buddy has a Gen 2. The difference in clarity and brightness were noticeable but I can't speak to how the eyebox compares. I haven't spent that much time behind his to make that call.
- Kirk -
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
The glass is XD glass and noticeably better than Gen I Viper PST glass, which is quite good glass.
With Gen II, they built CNC machines to install the epoxy and lens elements for securing the internals so that recoil and reciprocating mass effects from semi autos don't beat the components loose.
From all the Gen II tubes I've used in the real world or looked at down at SHOT, they've been well worth their price points in my mind.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
My only complaint on vertex is the weight. If that doesn't bother you then i like everything else.
Posts: 34
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
I saw this the other day and just couldn't pass it up.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018816323
Although I haven't mounted it yet, I would say the glass is very comparable to an SWFA 3-9 HD I have. The features set is nice, but I won't really know anything until I spend some time behind a rifle with it.