Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I got a new optic "March 1-10x24" and i need more eye relief. I had planned on using my nightforce unimount but that just won't work. Nightforce makes a unimount that pushes the optic out that will work but i was looking for some other ideas.
http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/unimount_sr
Geiselle is out because i just don't see the point in spending double what i would for the nightforce mount.
Any advise is appreciated. I also looked at the larue and while i like it im concerned about the pain it would be to hold the optic in while i put the rings on being they are verticle as opposed to horizontal.
Posts: 59
Threads: 4
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 687
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Bigs,
Securing a scope in a LaRue vertical clamshell is not a problem. You do up the bottom screws first and then the top. As the bottom screws are being done up you level the scope just as the clamping starts to bite the tube. The problem with LaRue vertical clamshells with March scopes is they make it difficult to adjust the closest zeroing grub screw on the top turret. As you know there are three grub screws per turret. On the latest March models the grub screw closest to the shooter is directly above the '0'. When you zero the scope this means the '0' is directly in line with the raised section of the rear LaRue clamp, and so is the grub screw. March turrets are low profile so getting a hex wrench in there to tighten/loosen this grub screw can be difficult. Another issue with LaRue vertical clamshells is the raised section of the rear clamp visually impedes your view of what setting the scope is on, again because March turrets are low profile. You have to raise your head from the shooting position to see the elevation setting.
You have purchased one of the most expensive scope brands on the market so purchasing the best mount, regardless of price is consistent with maximising the potential you have paid big $$$ for. I would view mount prices relative to the scope as the system is only as good as its weakest link.
AADMOUNT and SPUHR are other reputable high-quality scope mounts. SPUHR is arguably the equivalent of March in mounts but is pricey.
For eye relief you could also lengthen the stock.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Thanks for that input klem. Those are the kinds of things i need to know.
Posts: 37
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2018
How about a Burris PEPR mount? They were made in China like much of the "American" parts when "final assembly" allows "made in America."
Just doesn't have Burris nor PEPR on it, I have something like 6 of them.
https://www.amazon.com/MIZUGIWA-Cantilev...nt&sr=8-11
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Really? A March scope in a Chinese-'American' mount? That's like pouring cooking oil into the fuel tank of a Ferrari.
Bigs,
While I think about it, the diagonal clamping design of a SPUHR is designed to permit the least interrupted view of both elevation and windage turrets.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I was looking at spuhr. The aadmount doesn't have an extended mount to put it out further. I have a smoke composites fixed stock and really like it so getting a longer stock is not currently an option.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
I have a 1-6x24 Vortex Razor mounted on my 300 blackout w/Nightforce unimount.Works well for me.
I also have a similar Vortex Razor setup on a .223.I got the scope as a package deal with a Vortex precision quick release.It’s USA made,like the razor.And it works well.
I am sure there are more great choices.But,I can only recommend what I have experience with.The NF and Vortex mounts are in the $250 range and will serve you well.
Posts: 108
Threads: 14
Joined: Aug 2018
ADM make great mounts. I had the AdRecon tactical in 34mm and was able to remove it for cleaning and the zero didnt change.
Posts: 251
Threads: 36
Joined: Dec 2016
Both my March Scopes sit in aadmount scope mounts and they work great,
Posts: 92
Threads: 18
Joined: Aug 2017
Just a thought... if youre not in love with the stock youre currently using, how about a different, longer stock with an adjustable length of pull? could be less expensive and a way to kill two birds with one stone...
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Thanks for all the great advice. I love my stock. My entire build is my dream gun. I just need a cantilever mount. The aadmount doesn't have a cantilever option. Spuhr has a new hunting line that has a cantilever option im looking into. It puts the optic 2.76 inches further out.
Posts: 687
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2017
Bigs28 Wrote:Thanks for all the great advice. I love my stock. My entire build is my dream gun. I just need a cantilever mount. The aadmount doesn't have a cantilever option. Spuhr has a new hunting line that has a cantilever option im looking into. It puts the optic 2.76 inches further out.
Badger Ordnance makes Unimounts in multiple lengths and heights. ADM also makes unimounts in varying lengths. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't find a cantilever mount, there are tons of them on the market ranging from cheap Chinesium to Viking unobtanium. Pick one, it's not that hard.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I never said i can't find a cantilever mount. I said i need one and wanted suggestions. I said i could go with nightforce but was wanting opinions on others on the market. I also said aadmount didnt make them because it wasn't on their site.
https://www.aadmount.com/
Spuhr geissele larue all good options but as i was looking for advice i received good input on why not to go with larue which was the purpose of this post as its titled. "Mount advice".
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Bigs,
Don't waste your time with this guy, he's baiting you. He's done it before.
Save it for those with manners and respect.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
I ordered one of the new spuhr hunting line mounts from mile high shooting. Thanks for the input.
Posts: 29
Threads: 5
Joined: Jul 2019
Had good luck with American Defense in the past, they have several QD's including extended eye relief ones. Pretty solid, and more affordable than Spuhr.