Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
I recently purchased a Howa mini Grendel from Brownells and threw it in a Boyds Thumbhole stock.Topped it off with a Vortex viper PST Gen II 5-25 x 50. When I initially put it in the stock the barrel was not centered in the stock. I sanded the barrel channel down and when I re-tightened it was centered.
I went out to the range to zero and I had a horrible accuracy I had groups that are probably 2 inches at best with Hornady Black. I rechecked all the mounts with the torque ranch and they were set up properly.
Has anyone experienced anything similar with their rifles? I am thinking that I will have to pillar bed, glass bed, and sand the barrel channel more in order to get it to perform. Any recommendation for which kit to use? If anyone has any recommendations on how to proceed I am all ears.
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
To me the at-one stock is kind of blocky, so grip and stock setup for the shot seems to be a bit sub-normal. As I recall my HB doesn't shoot that well with Black either, but it will do 1" or less/100yd with some handloads. It took me 60-80 rounds downrange for it to settle in.
I did do a pillar bed of the stock, it seats in my pro hunter boyds better... but accuracy is about the same, handloads good, Black meh.
You didn't say how many shots you've fired, after a 60-80 break-in see how its doing, then maybe the pillar bed would be the say to go, can't hurt (if done right) that's for sure. This was my first bedding job, I took it nice and slow.
Most guys on here use the acraglass, brownells has a kit I think... (it's still early and my brain is just waking up).
I did a thread in this section on my bedding job.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
grayfox Wrote:To me the at-one stock is kind of blocky, so grip and stock setup for the shot seems to be a bit sub-normal. As I recall my HB doesn't shoot that well with Black either, but it will do 1" or less/100yd with some handloads. It took me 60-80 rounds downrange for it to settle in.
I did do a pillar bed of the stock, it seats in my pro hunter boyds better... but accuracy is about the same, handloads good, Black meh.
You didn't say how many shots you've fired, after a 60-80 break-in see how its doing, then maybe the pillar bed would be the say to go, can't hurt (if done right) that's for sure. This was my first bedding job, I took it nice and slow.
Most guys on here use the acraglass, brownells has a kit I think... (it's still early and my brain is just waking up).
I did a thread in this section on my bedding job.
I fired about 60 rounds in total. I guess I just expected better accuracy with Hornady Black. Ill take a look at the acraglass.
Posts: 80
Threads: 5
Joined: Jun 2017
I work for a local gunsmith doing stock repairs and bedding jobs. Every Boyd's stock that comes through the shop has to be bedded to get them to fit properly.
Get the accraglass gel and the Brownells accraglass release spray, the spray is so much easier to use them the release agent that comes with the Accraglass.
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
BD264 Wrote:I work for a local gunsmith doing stock repairs and bedding jobs. Every Boyd's stock that comes through the shop has to be bedded to get them to fit properly.
Get the accraglass gel and the Brownells accraglass release spray, the spray is so much easier to use them the release agent that comes with the Accraglass.
Bought the Acraglass and release gel. Thank you both for the recommendations. Will update this post with my results.
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
take your time. measure twice, check twice, cut once.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 138
Threads: 7
Joined: Jan 2019
Mine dropped in and only had a slight barrel chamber sanding to do. Its my favorite rifle right now and is proving very accurate. I put a small amount of bedding on the lug was all. I may put pillars this winter but so far so good.
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
Bfglowkee Wrote:Mine dropped in and only had a slight barrel chamber sanding to do. Its my favorite rifle right now and is proving very accurate. I put a small amount of bedding on the lug was all. I may put pillars this winter but so far so good.
What kind of accuracy were you seeing?