Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Geissele mount or no?
#1
Guys I am still in the debate on which 20MOA mount to buy (this time I only want just 30mm 20MOA mount).

So my scope is Vortex 3x-15 Viper PST II which I bought for around $1k

The 30mm 20MOA mount from Geissele is around $350 its feaking A LOT! And it is 7075 aluminum. Some people say it has to be just that mount and nothing else.
But the way I think is... my scope if I am correct is not 7075, so why does mount need to be sturdier than scope? if something happens then scope is gone and the fact that mount is still there doesnt give me anything.
in other words - it is over designed for such scope.

so do i really need to cash out for this mount or is it really overkill?

If it IS overkill, please recommend 20MOA mount which IS worth it
(i currently have some nikon mount which i bought in store for $80, what i like about it is its 5oz only; but since im doing complete rifle remake i am thinking should i keep using it or buy something even more higher level?)
Reply
#2
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...e+unimount
Reply
#3
https://www.larue.com/category/larue-mou...pe-mounts/
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Reply
#4
I like the Warne MSR. Totally CNC machined, steel thread inserts, great value. https://warnescopemounts.com/product/lrs...msr-mount/
"In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.
Reply
#5
Jakal and I agree. LaRue LT745 20moa.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#6
Yes the LT745 is highly recommended. Plus the dillo dust..mmmm!
""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
Reply
#7
R2,

Not as simple as comparing 7075 with 6065. Scopes and mounts are two entirely different things. A 6065 scope body might be stronger than 7075 if it is thicker. Also the strength of the body might not be the reason why delicate internals fail. By 'something happens' you mean the gun gets dropped on a hard surface or impacted in some way. How likely is that?

I would think the cost of the mount also includes how precisely aligned it is to the rail it goes on. Plus the number of passes the bit makes when shaping the mount etc. Not just what it is made of.

I agree, the system is only as strong as its weakest link so why pay through the nose for a super strong mount if you use a dodgy scope.
Reply
#8
Another vote for LT745 here, have one holding a Nightforce NXS on a LaRue 6.5 Creedmoor
Reply
#9
+1 for Warne. I'm using the AR Stoner brand mount from Midway (which the internet says is made by Warne). At under $100, it's priced well to mate with my 3-15x SFP SWFA. The Warne branded version is a little lighter and looks to be machined & finished to a higher standard, which could be helpful if you're chasing sub-moa precision.
The LaRue would probably be my choice if I had a $1000 optic and a barrel to justify it. I've used LaRue's Quick Detach Aimpoint micro mount and love it.
Reply
#10
+2 for the Warne.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)