Posts: 61
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2018
Good evening,
I am on the verge of buying my first 6.5 Grendel. Have been wanting one for awhile, but for some reason I have been putting off the purchase.
This is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading what is posted here for a long time.
Does one rifle hold a significant advantage over the other in any area?
Is it basically a 6 in one 1/2 doz in the other type of comparison?
There are more posts on here referencing Howa compared to CZ.
If I buy the Howa I'll get the 20" HB version - undecided on stock.
If I got the CZ I'd probably get the threaded varmint version.
Thank you
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
I have a howa 20 heavy I got as a barreled action and fitted up a boyd's pro varmint stock, most accurate rifle I have ever shot in my life with my handloads.
But to be honest I wish I had gone with the cz 527 varmint with its wood stock and double set trigger and nice long threaded barrel.
If you get the cz and don't like it let me k ow I will trade you my howa straight up, complete with the dip bottom metal, metal mag release, flush fit mag, 20moa rail and muzzle break.
Posts: 58
Threads: 9
Joined: Oct 2017
I have both and they are both super accurate and fun to shoot. But,the Howa is a far more reliable action/magazine set up. I have two magazines for the CZ Varmint, and both of them have take a HEAP of work to get them tuned in and feeding properly - to the point I don't take it hunting or in a comp because of my doubts it will do the job I need. My only issues with the Howa are the terrible stock and plastic bottom metal. But the DIP bottom metal and the B&C stock solve that. Based on my experience I would go the Howa/DIP/B&C combo and have an awesome, reliable piece of kit.
Posts: 153
Threads: 7
Joined: May 2018
I prefer the quality of machining and smoothness of the Howa action. I have both, two 527’s, and more than two Howa Mini’s. Yes the plastic stocks and bottom metals are a detractor on the Howa, but they are SMOOTH cycling actions and I prefer shooting them. Both are accurate with very good triggers. On the CZ the only way to get a great standard trigger pull is to adjust the set feature out completely and then you’ll have a crisp light trigger pull.
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Joined: Mar 2019
have the Howa & a c/z the c/z is in 7.62x39 it is not near as smooth as the howa , the howa also shoots .5 groups all day with good hand loads &.8 to .9 with hornady 123 gr. black . good gun
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
I will take my CZ over the Howas I have handled, but that said mine was worked over by a talented gunsmith and rebarreled from a 527 7.62X39 carbine into a very sweet Grendel version before CZ got off their butts and started chambering in the Grendel.
I haven't shot the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel but have in the 223 chambering.
my smallest 5 shot group with the CZ has been just under .3 inches at 100 yards, but Obermeyer does know how to make a barrel and Pillar and glass bedding the action improves the CZ as well.
Posts: 175
Threads: 14
Joined: Jul 2018
I have the Mini and am waiting for mtr 527MTR in grendel...cz-usa says they are in stock, but I have yet to see one anywhere that is available.
Posts: 9
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2017
04-09-2019, 11:42 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019, 12:15 AM by trigrtym.)
Taz575 Wrote:I have the Mini and am waiting for mtr 527MTR in grendel...cz-usa says they are in stock, but I have yet to see one anywhere that is available.
Hey Taz. I have these in stock if your interested. They're $799.99 plus shipping. If interested, you may call 662-269-2340 or email me @
greg.grissom12@gmail.com
Posts: 175
Threads: 14
Joined: Jul 2018
Thanks for the heads up! Mine shipped yesterday and should be here Thursday; I saw they dropped on Monday! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 9
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2017
No problem. Where did you find it, if you don't mind me asking?
Posts: 175
Threads: 14
Joined: Jul 2018
The local gun store where I help out at occasionally ordered it from RSR back in late January for me.
Posts: 9
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2017