Posts: 137
Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2018
Current budgetary restraints have been lifted and I am looking at getting some spare parts for my Grendel.
Looking at getting a spare bolt, firing pin and extractor to start as they seem to be the most common fail points. Any other parts or pieces that are recommenced to have on hand? Maybe just build an entire BCG?
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Buy a group buy bolt, covers your spare bolt and extractor in one purchase.
Posts: 137
Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2018
Any reason to get the slightly more expensive firing pins with coatings or even the titanium ones.
Posts: 560
Threads: 18
Joined: Jan 2018
I keep a spare lowers parts spring/dedent pack or two on hand, but somehow it always turns into another firearm?Vicious circle.
As for firing pins make sure your bolt uses standard length pins. There are two ways companies deal with the deeper bolt face of the 6.5 grendel, one way is to add the .011 to the back of the bolt and use standard pins. Or method two is use standard length bolt and shorten the firing pin .011 inches.
Posts: 137
Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2018
I originally when with the ToolCraft BCG that came with everything for my 6.5. Bolt measures 2.810 and pin came in at 3.2765 for the 6.5 Grendel.
Found a post in the trouble shooting area that said Bolts should be 2.81 for standard firing pins.
I also took the Aero BCG from my 5.56 just to compare and the bolt was 2.798 and pin was 3.280
Posts: 560
Threads: 18
Joined: Jan 2018
Good that your aware, just wanted to point it out since you were getting spare parts.
Posts: 137
Threads: 21
Joined: Nov 2018
BCHunter Wrote:Good that your aware, just wanted to point it out since you were getting spare parts.
I am glad you mentioned it. I had to go check my bolts and pins after reading your post. Should help keep me from posting my own "why I am getting pierced primers or FTFire" in the future too.