Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
3 Rounds - 3 seconds - 3 impacts at 1000 yards
#1
I really need to come around these parts more often. It's been years since the last time I logged on. But in truth, it's also been years since I've given my Grendel the love it deserves. Pushing the range envelope with larger bolt actions has consumed my interest over the last few years, and the Grendel has mostly sat.

Well, that's going to change. I loaded up a few hundred rounds for this last weekend and had an absolute blast. I only shot about 40 rounds, but I remembered why I love this little cartridge so much. Almost no recoil, seemingly immortal barrel life, great range capabilities, all while capable of being fired from an AR15.

I had put maybe 20 rounds through the Grendel over the last year, all inside of 300 yards. Last Saturday, I started right at 1000. No confirming zero, no chrono work, nothing. I dialed my dope, got on target, and let her fly. IMPACT! I got kind of bored continuously nailing the IPSC and 24" plate, so I started sending 2 rounds down range in rapid succession. After capturing several of them through the phoneskope, my spotter said it looked like I'd have time to get 3 rounds in the air before the first one hit. It took a couple of tries, but eventually got all 3 rounds to impact in under 3 seconds!

I'll be heading back to the North Springs shooting range this upcoming weekend, and will put the Grendel through its paces again. I think I'll try to get 5 rounds on target before the report from the steel comes back to the camera 😉

https://www.facebook.com/550516648373677...421993251/

-PredatorDown (switch.88 on social media)
Reply
#2
Very cool.
Reply
#3
For those of us that missed it, could you tell us more about your rifle and load?

Boring at 1000, now that is something!
Reply
#4
Rifle is built around a 22” JP Enterprises barrel (what I absolutely swear by). Also run a Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger, magpul ACS stock, MI Gen2 SS gandguard.

Load was Norma brass, 123gr Amax (I have over 2k of them still sitting on my shelf, so no need to even bother with the newer ELD’s for a while), 27.6gr of AR-Comp, and CCI450 primer. Seated to 2.245”
Reply
#5
Welcome back! We missed having you around. Congrats on your excellent performance at One Mile

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...edatorDown
Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Reply
#6
Much appreciated!
Reply
#7
And I thought I did good last Sunday afternoon. My last 5 shot 500 yds 4/5 in 8 seconds on a 13x15”” plate. I had to wait on it to quit swinging and get back on it.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
Reply
#8
And to think that barrel is only on hand tight!
Reply
#9
Hey good to see you back PD!!!!!

Good to see your interest back in the Grendel!

Hows that 22 Grendel project coming?
Reply
#10
Great to see you again. I figured you were bitten by ELR for a while.

There aren't many combinations of rifle actions and cartridges that can do this, especially at that rifle weight.

The cadence your'e shooting is what I often do at distance from lightweight Grendels with no muzzle brakes.

I could never do that with .308 because you can't see the TGT fast enough after muzzle blast.

For those that don't know, PredatorDown is the one who did the 1000yd and 1500yd milk jug challenges with his 22" 6.5 Grendel, and did it with less rounds than a lot of guys who bring huge magnums specifically meant for 1000yd-2000yd ranges.

He also did it with a relatively tame load.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#11
biodsl Wrote:Welcome back! We missed having you around. Congrats on your excellent performance at One Mile

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...edatorDown

Thanks for the love man! That's awesome that you guys posted about it!



Kilco Wrote:Hey good to see you back PD!!!!!

Good to see your interest back in the Grendel!

Hows that 22 Grendel project coming?

Well, I have the dies for it �� That's as far as I've got in the last year and a half lmao. I'm really strongly leaning towards getting a Krieger and having my smith chamber it instead of going with one off the shelf somewhere



LRRPF52 Wrote:Great to see you again. I figured you were bitten by ELR for a while.

There aren't many combinations of rifle actions and cartridges that can do this, especially at that rifle weight.

The cadence your'e shooting is what I often do at distance from lightweight Grendels with no muzzle brakes.

I could never do that with .308 because you can't see the TGT fast enough after muzzle blast.

For those that don't know, PredatorDown is the one who did the 1000yd and 1500yd milk jug challenges with his 22" 6.5 Grendel, and did it with less rounds than a lot of guys who bring huge magnums specifically meant for 1000yd-2000yd ranges.

He also did it with a relatively tame load.

Thanks for the kind words man! We still need to meet up at North Springs sometime. I'll be spending all day there this upcoming Saturday
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)