Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2018
Any of you guys have experience or read any reviews on the PSA 12" 416R Stainless 1:8 barrels?
At $99 sale price, it's kind of hard to resist buying one.., or two!
The description does not say., but they look like they are probably Bear Creek??
Posts: 225
Threads: 3
Joined: Feb 2019
Very limited experience with a 12" 416 Grendel upper from them. I've only fired like 20 rds of varying charges through it at 50 yds using 20 yr old powder. Using an EOTech red dot with no magnification, I got a couple of 1" groups. I imagine I'll be happy with it when I use fresh powder and an optic with magnification.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
03-14-2019, 05:49 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 03:16 AM by VASCAR2.)
There are a couple of reviews on the Stainless Steel 12” 6.5 Grendel uppers on this forum and ARF.com. I bought the 12” Nitride PSA pistol kit and it has been gtg. PSA manufacture these barrels and have videos showing their manufacturing facilities. The $99.00 price for this barrel plus PSA CS sure makes this barrel worth consideration.
Any negative comments I read about the 12” 6.5 Grendel uppers was in regards to confusion on the adjustable gas block, to tight or too loose of flash hider or barrel nut.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-12-6...49793.html
Posts: 122
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2018
ibshane Wrote:Any of you guys have experience or read any reviews on the PSA 12" 416R Stainless 1:8 barrels?
At $99 sale price, it's kind of hard to resist buying one.., or two!
The description does not say., but they look like they are probably Bear Creek??
They're made by PSA.
Posts: 135
Threads: 13
Joined: Nov 2017
My nitride PSA 12 inch Grendel barrel was pretty trashy. Nothing obviously wrong with the machining, but it was slinging 4 inch groups with Hornady black and American Gunner, 8 inch groups with Wolf. I replaced it with a group buy Faxon barrel and it's been good to go, even with Wolf.
Posts: 91
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2016
I just put one together with one those $99 P.S.A. 12" 6.5 Grendel Barrel's and with less than 100 rd's put thru it yesterday I put four shots in the same whole (Like almost had to mic it small) at 50 yards and an easy 1" three shot group at a 100 yards without even really trying. I'm very pleased with mine. Picture of it it 6.5 Grendel pictures.
Posts: 26
Threads: 6
Joined: Feb 2019
depletedyourcranium Wrote:My nitride PSA 12 inch Grendel barrel was pretty trashy. Nothing obviously wrong with the machining, but it was slinging 4 inch groups with Hornady black and American Gunner, 8 inch groups with Wolf. I replaced it with a group buy Faxon barrel and it's been good to go, even with Wolf.
PSA would replace it if you called them.
Posts: 135
Threads: 13
Joined: Nov 2017
GunsAreFun Wrote:PSA would replace it if you called them.
Probably, but I didn't feel like going down that rabbit hole of shipping it back, waiting weeks, rebuilding the upper, time and ammo testing it again. I'll gamble on a cheap barrel once in awhile but when I get a junky one I just cut my losses and replace it with a known quantity and not worry about it.
Posts: 17
Threads: 4
Joined: Aug 2018
depletedyourcranium Wrote:My nitride PSA 12 inch Grendel barrel was pretty trashy. Nothing obviously wrong with the machining, but it was slinging 4 inch groups with Hornady black and American Gunner, 8 inch groups with Wolf. I replaced it with a group buy Faxon barrel and it's been good to go, even with Wolf.
Same here. 4 groups at 100 yards. This is after having to send back the upper to address an issue with the adjustable gas block. Thinking about replacing the barrel when the next 12 group buy becomes available.
Posts: 682
Threads: 56
Joined: Dec 2016
I need to do an update on mine but, here is my first Range trip with my 12" PSA Upper-
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...Range-trip
All and all, I am happy with it, I did return it and they polished the chamber for me and returned it.
Will be throwing some Wolf 100 grain thru it in the next couple of weeks to see what it does.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ― George Orwell