Posts: 21
Threads: 9
Joined: Nov 2018
I am sure you guys have covered this several times, however, I would surely appreciate it if you could tell me if this 12" pistol is legal to fire from the shoulder:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-12-c...tock+Email
Posts: 201
Threads: 20
Joined: Nov 2015
Yes
"One Good Shot Is All I Need."
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Not an NFA firearm.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 337
Threads: 17
Joined: May 2018
I'm no expert on the gun laws, but a buddy of mine has told me it's not legal. I will certainly ask him for the law that states it...he normally backs up what ever he says...so I'm sure he will find it.
He also said you would be more likely to be eaten by a shark, after be struck by lighting...than to being caught shooting a pistol from your shoulder.
So either way...very unlikely anything would happen if you chose to shoot it that way.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Your buddy is wrong. The letters from the atf are all over the internet including posted directly on the websites that sell the braces.
https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/...ng-braces/
You can build an ar pistol with a pistol brace and fire from the shoulder as long as you do not alter the brace in any way to make it more comfortable to shoot or for any other reason. Like adding a buttpad, removing the velcro straps, etc....
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Here's some additional discussion on the matter: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0...arm-brace/
I've read the letters and it still looks a bit fuzzy to me. I'm comfortable that an AR pistol with a Maxim brace isn't an SBR and doesn't require a tax stamp. That said, I personally wouldn't shoulder one and fire it at a public range. But then I've got other places I can shoot.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Ok here's something else to ponder for the nay sayers. Companies like sb tactical, maxim, sigsauer, etc... are advertising these braces as legal to shoulder and selling them by the 10s of thousands since the "clarification". The atf has not stepped in and stopped any of it. Would sig sauer and all their lawyers on retainer sell these as legal to shoulder if they were not? Who do you think the atf would be going after first? Discuss all you want. Don't shoulder them or buy them if your not 100% certain yourself. I on the other hand am certain at this time that i can shoulder them at any public range i go to.
Posts: 893
Threads: 32
Joined: Jan 2015
Bigs28 Wrote:Ok here's something else to ponder for the nay sayers. Companies like sb tactical, maxim, sigsauer, etc... are advertising these braces as legal to shoulder and selling them by the 10s of thousands since the "clarification". The atf has not stepped in and stopped any of it. Would sig sauer and all their lawyers on retainer sell these as legal to shoulder if they were not? Who do you think the atf would be going after first? Discuss all you want. Don't shoulder them or buy them if your not 100% certain yourself. I on the other hand am certain at this time that i can shoulder them at any public range i go to.
I'll stand by being a nay sayer. The next to the last paragraph of the clarification letter says "Similarly, an item that functions as a stock if attached to a handgun in a manner that serves the objective purpose of allowing the firearm to be fired from the shoulder may result in "making" a short barrelled rifle, even if the attachment is not permanent."
I've seen the way our government agencies work. The administration in office has a huge amount of leeway in interpreting how regulations are enforced. I have no interest in paying an attorney to defend me if someone determines that I "may" have made a short barrelled rifle.
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
I would rather strongly advise against publicly claiming the purpose of purchasing a pistol brace is for usage as a shoulder stock, regardless of what some ATF letter-of-the-day says.
Posts: 337
Threads: 17
Joined: May 2018
I have no dog in this hunt, so the legal definitions of a "pistol brace" means little to me.
As I said though...you odds of being caught are so slim it would be of no concern to the huge major of AR pistol owners.
Getting the stamp for an SBR is a lot shorter than for a can...just for go all the worry and get your stamp if you feel you must shoulder your AR pistol.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
My sbr stamp took 10 months. Suppressor 7.5 months. Sbr needs approval to take across state lines. Pistol does not.
Lazy, I'm not advocating to buy a pistol brace for the purpose of it being a stock. Op asked if it was legal to shoot from the shoulder which according to the letter from the atf holding the pistol at or near the shoulder does not make it an sbr.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Drillboss Wrote:I'll stand by being a nay sayer. The next to the last paragraph of the clarification letter says "Similarly, an item that functions as a stock if attached to a handgun in a manner that serves the objective purpose of allowing the firearm to be fired from the shoulder may result in "making" a short barrelled rifle, even if the attachment is not permanent."
I've seen the way our government agencies work. The administration in office has a huge amount of leeway in interpreting how regulations are enforced. I have no interest in paying an attorney to defend me if someone determines that I "may" have made a short barrelled rifle.
It has already been determined that pistol braces are not stocks and are not designed to be used as stocks.
Some of us are handicapped in a way that shouldering a firearm is not possible without having to lean our head over and violate one of the basic principles of building a position:
* Bring the gun to your head, not your head to the gun.
Those of us with wide shoulders benefit from the pistol braces by allowing us to hold the firearm while keeping our heads in correct position.
The only place the elastomer portions of the brace touch me is my pectoral muscle, and I never use the brace with the intent of touching my shoulder because then I would have to break my head position.
I am thankful for our ATF overlords in their wisdom to accommodate handicapped people like me. This is a great decision and set of extrajudicial rulings and interpretations from this wonderful law enforcement agency.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 678
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
lazyengineer Wrote:I would rather strongly advise against publicly claiming the purpose of purchasing a pistol brace is for usage as a shoulder stock, regardless of what some ATF letter-of-the-day says.
Yep, if it can be proven that your sole intention of the build was shoulder firing, a NFA item is what you have made. Enjoy them while we got them, atf's flip flopping will likely flip again.
Posts: 337
Threads: 17
Joined: May 2018
Bigs28 Wrote:My sbr stamp took 10 months. Suppressor 7.5 months. Sbr needs approval to take across state lines. Pistol does not. I'm not sure a silencer will get processed right now in 7.5 months.
My check was cashed just before Christmas and from what I'm hearing I will be lucky to see my can before the end of the year!
But I sure hope your right and it takes 7.5 months!
Buddy follows all this crap on a daily basis. He said some guys are reporting SBR's going through super quick. In a fraction of the time a can is making it through the exact same process.
|