Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
BCA owners question
#1
I just looked into the muzzle on my new unfired BCA upper and there appears to be a lot of powder residue built up on the face of the crown and the threads of the flash hider. It doesn't look like normal test firing but more like several hundred rounds have went through it. Has anyone else experienced anything like that with BCA? I have ran a half dozen patches through it and it still looks nasty. I'm wondering if they didn't just send me an upper that someone else had returned.
Reply
#2
I ordered 4 Grendel BCGs , I received 3 new unfired and 1 used one .

This was last week - I requested an RMA and they received the used one back today .

YMMV
Reply
#3
Thanks for the response. I did a little digging and it's been said that they use cheap Russian ammo for testing. I haven't fired any from a Grendel so it is possible that mine was used, but there's no sign on the outside to indicate it. Were they able to confirm that yours was in fact used or how were you able to tell?
Reply
#4
Yes they do use Wolf/Tula steel case ammo to test fire their uppers for function and then warn you to not use steel case ammo in it. :confused: You should have received three of these fired steel cases with your upper, not that they were the ones actually fired in your upper, but it was "supposed" to have been fired three times with this ammo I guess. My first experience with my BCA upper had this heavy black fouling on the muzzle that camouflaged the TERRIFLE crown which looked like it had been done with a side grinder it was so ruff. Thing shot all over the place. Sent it back for a barrel replacement and got a barrel that eventually after around 60 or so rounds started shooting sub MOA with specific handloads but it is picky as to what it wants to shoot. It likes IMR 8208 28.5 grs, Hornady case with CCI 450s with 120 Sierra Pro Hunters and 28.0 grs with 120 Speer Gold Dots. This is my rifle yours may be different so work up SLOWLY.
Reply
#5
MY first one showed indications of being fired. As mentioned they are to test fire the uppers and yes said they use the cheap ammo. My replacement from returning an 20" Cm barrel with a 24" SS showed no indication as your seeing? But my replacement did not come with the Bc. That was ordered separate. But my replacement was to have been gone over from 1 end to the other?
The replacement is a fine upper.
After starting the slow break in the muzzle did start powdering up. Mine showed as bleeding out the lands. Then the complete face and crown was black.
The face should clean up and you will be able to see the crown.
The flash hiders are going to collect the blasted out burnt powder. More so on the 24". The 24" is I'm burning more powder and not throwing as much unburned crap out the barrel.
Remember the fresh upper is lubed more than
Normal and the barrels require pre cleaning prior to really shooting. JMO
You may have received a return? If your not pleased they will refund or replacement plus pay return shipping.
The face and crown area is going to foul. Even on the .223/5.56 with a flat hider.
I never notice the 20" smoking as the 24" does at times. All good ammo down this upper. There others that can explain this better an know more about the AR platform than me.
Reply
#6
My 24" BCA complete upper, (which I returned due to it shooting like a shotgun and not a rifle), was test fired with Hornaday brass. (Two brass cases came with the upper). Not steel or so it would seem.
This barrel was coated with a thick lubricant inside and out along with the BCG. It still took about 12 to 14 patches after hitting the barrel with a bore cleaner and a nylon brush to get non-blackened patches out the end BEFORE I fired it.
There was a lot of black residue on/in the flash suppressor. A lot of it can also be from the oil, lube and don't forget all the metal filings that are blown out on their initial test firings. Big Grin
PS.....the test casings looked like they were chewed on by an other-worldly animal. Rolleyes
Reply
#7
I received NO spent brass with either. As to the cleaning mine took many patches to get the results of a clean patch on both. Even in the shot 1 and patch there was some black that cam out. I did the shot 5 running a patch or 2 between shots. Then I stepped the shit count up and cleaned.
The last shooting after re scoping resulted in a dirty barrel and the face of the barrel was covered solid with burnt powder. The bolt carrier had been cleaned from the get go and a light lube.
My first upper did the brass as your. The replacement does not. My brass comes out as my other guns with no indications on them. JMO ��
Reply
#8
"Then I stepped the shit count up and cleaned." :o

Always wise to clean after "stepping up the sh*t count". Cool

Sorry, too funny! Thanks.
Reply
#9
Rosecrans1 Wrote:My 24" BCA complete upper, (which I returned due to it shooting like a shotgun and not a rifle), was test fired with Hornaday brass. (Two brass cases came with the upper). Not steel or so it would seem.
This barrel was coated with a thick lubricant inside and out along with the BCG. It still took about 12 to 14 patches after hitting the barrel with a bore cleaner and a nylon brush to get non-blackened patches out the end BEFORE I fired it.
There was a lot of black residue on/in the flash suppressor. A lot of it can also be from the oil, lube and don't forget all the metal filings that are blown out on their initial test firings. Big Grin
PS.....the test casings looked like they were chewed on by an other-worldly animal. Rolleyes

Rosecrans1, when did you get your upper? When I sent mine back, I sent it with several Hornady brass cased that were "chewed by a Grendel(the beast), sounds like they could have sent you my brass.
kinda funny but not really. I sent mine back just before the ICE raid.
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#10
Just to be clear, I don't see any indication of being a used upper. I'm just not used to seeing any powder residue in a new barrel or firearm. Mine didn't come with any spent cases and other than the residue, it looks untouched. I did make it out to the range yesterday and my first 2 shots were in the same hole at about 40 yrds. I adjusted after that and once I got it close, I moved out to 100 yrds but I never got the chance to finish sighting because the range was closing. I was trying to work up my loads in the 5.56 at the same time and the local PD had covered the rifle range area with 5.56 brass making that impossible. It's a really dumb rule that ranges will not let you pick up brass but also don't want to clean it so that you can at least collect your own. I had the range to myself so I don't see how that should be an issue. Next time I'll just bring a tarp with me because I don't want to lose my Grendel brass once I start shooting Hornady ammo.
Reply
#11
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101505...mesh-black

These seem to help with stupid range rules. they work pretty good too.
Reply
#12
I tried 3 uppers and one barrel. Got 3 steel cases with the first upper. Deflector dings and extractor marks on the steel cases were not a match to each other, so if they send you empties they are likely just picked up off the floor from where it was fired and not necessarily fired in your upper. That first upper did not look to have been fired more than the 3 that they claim to fire to test function. The second two uppers did not come with empties and did not appear to be fired at all.
Reply
#13
Didn't they have some highly skilled illegals working there?
Reply
#14
LTQZ, I sent my BCA upper back to Primary Arms for a refund since they didn't have a 24" BCA complete upper in stock. (Thank God). It didn't ship directly to BCA.
Reply
#15
I received my BCA 20" upper back a week or so ago. I've had it to the indoor range a couple times and it appears to shoot just fine and the chamber issue was taken care with a new barrel.
Waiting to get to the 200 yrd range.
Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.
Reply
#16
Mine was dirty when I got it too. Shot ok though. Seems they actually do test fire them I guess.
Reply
#17
My SS 24" barrel and side charge upper come in today, but I won't see them until we get home from vacation but I will through in once I have a chance to inspect everything.

I'm afraid they will fold their tent after the sale out on instock items. Their price for the side charge upper with BCG is great. I really like the first one I bought
Reply
#18
I know folks have had hit or miss luck with their barrels, but in general how have their BCGs been?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)