Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
Stinky Coyote Wrote:A creedmoor 140gr at 2700 fps in an all up 6.5 lb rifle will recoil at 16.8 ft/lbs and the Grendel 123gr at 2580 fps at 10.2 ft/lbs.
Not a chance that creedmoor option gets shot all day for fun and everything else. Beauty of the Grendel is it will still go all day in any weight rifle for any shooter and barrel life whoops them all to make it all possible and one of the most efficient attractive options around. For big game duty it goes within 225 yards the distance a creedmoor can go. Which is still further than 98% all game is taken at real world.
Once you have shot the factory ammo and are ready to reload the empty cases all these problems go away.
You still have the option of going faster and heavier.
Posts: 612
Threads: 61
Joined: Jun 2016
I want a 6.5 Grendel not a 6.5 Creedmoor period, plain, and simple. There's no convincing me otherwise...
Thanks, Dinny
Posts: 641
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2017
bj139 Wrote:Once you have shot the factory ammo and are ready to reload the empty cases all these problems go away.
You still have the option of going faster and heavier.
What if you dont reload and never will?
The creed has its place and may be the finest alrounder ever. But for many its still way more than enough when wed prefer just a tad more than enough.
I dont understand why anyone would hotrod a Grendel when the creedmoor is available in 10x the platforms. But each their own I guess.
I dont want to go faster..,that just means more recoil and less barrel life. Missing the point...go creed. The efficiency and versatility of both is incredible. My choice is Grendel, suits all my needs and desires...the creedmoor is a bit overkill.😁
Posts: 153
Threads: 7
Joined: May 2018
Dinny Wrote:I want a 6.5 Grendel not a 6.5 Creedmoor period, plain, and simple. There's no convincing me otherwise...
Thanks, Dinny
Then the Howa Mini or CZ 527 is a better platform scaled, and ideal for the Grendel sized case. In the platform youre looking at the 6.5x47 Lapua would be pretty ideal and different. Of course this is only my opinion. Bushing the bolt to function and mag feeding issues would uncertain enough for me not to try it. If it works though, it would definitely be a mild mannered, sweet little rig!
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
Dinny,
Make sure to post some photos of the rifle and groups when you are finished.
It sounds like it will be very nice.
Posts: 641
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2017
Dinny Wrote:So I have this handy little Kimber 84M Hunter in a less than desirable caliber (6.5CM). I love how well it handles, love the flush fit magazine, and love the scaled down M70-like action.
I spoke to Kevin Weaver about making it a Grendel. He recommends a $350 stainless Lilja barrel and says another $250-$350 is needed to install the barrel and ensure it feeds from the DBM and extracts correctly.
I plan to have the barrel follow the same Hunter/Montana contour to 22" and 1:8" twist.
As far as COAL is concerned, I know the magazine and action should be able to manage longer loaded cartridges.
First, am I crazy for pumping this much money into this rifle to get a Grendel?
Second, what's the general consensus on chambering? Should the throat be cut to accept a longer COAL?
I intend to mainly just hunt deer, coyotes and hogs with this rifle.
Thanks, Dinny
P.S. I've waited long enough for LSI to release a Mini with either a flush fit DBM or real bottom metal with a hinged floorplate.
Build it! The Grendel is ideal cartridge for the ultralight platforms imo! Nula, a Cooper in their .223 action length, and the one Im dreaming about...sako 85 in the xs action. The Kimber Montana was the first one I thought would be ideal for it. 👍
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
biodsl Wrote:A phrase you'll only find on the Grendel Forum. 
I frequent one forum where the Creedmoor is often refereed to as the Creamsmore
As to the OP it is your $ and your choice, a lot of people tried to talk me out of doing the CZ527 into a Grendel before that was a factory option, my comment was it is my $ and that is what I want. To those that said I need more speed and to get a Creedmoor,if I want a faster 6.5 I will just pull the 6.5-284 or 264 Win Mag from the safe.
That little rifle has become my favorite centerfire rifle to shoot. Light weight, handy well balanced and more accurate than I am. What is not to like
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
kmon Wrote:I frequent one forum where the Creedmoor is often refereed to as the Creamsmore
As to the OP it is your $ and your choice, a lot of people tried to talk me out of doing the CZ527 into a Grendel before that was a factory option, my comment was it is my $ and that is what I want. To those that said I need more speed and to get a Creedmoor,if I want a faster 6.5 I will just pull the 6.5-284 or 264 Win Mag from the safe.
That little rifle has become my favorite centerfire rifle to shoot. Light weight, handy well balanced and more accurate than I am. What is not to like
Smart man. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posts: 38
Threads: 0
Joined: Jan 2016
I have both a grendel and a wildcat that is the equal of the creedmoor, I love both 6.5s but I use the grendel 2 to 1. For the same money keep the creed buy a HOWA mini and have the best of both. The grendel will stop a deer quicker in my experiance having killer deer with both, the deer gets all the energy not the tree behind the deer.
Posts: 144
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2017
03-27-2019, 02:54 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 02:57 AM by BobinNC.)
I understand your desire to have what you want, but your trying to use the wrong platform in choosing the Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creed as a donor to build a fine 6.5 Grendel. Your biggest problems is the Creedmoor uses a .484" bolt face, and the Grendel uses a .447" bolt face. Opening a bolt face is no problem, but making one smaller takes a bunch of skill, and failure here could lead to problems later.
My recommendation is to sell your Kimber, and buy a trued Remington Model 7 action from PT&G, with the correct .447 boltface (it is an option under their blueprinted actions). Then barrel it, bottom metal it, and stock it in whatever suits your fancy and budget. Another alternative is to buy a new or used Ruger MKII in 7.62x39 (they are rare and command a goodly sum, but they can be found). They already have the correct boltface, flush floorplate and a useable stock. Now you only have to rebarrel one to 6.5 Grendel. There are 3 right now for sale on Gunbroker. I know I thought long and hard recently at going that route to 6.5 Grendel bliss, but alas being retired on fixed income tends to crush hopes and dreams rather fast......
Best of luck, however you go.....IMHO and YMMV
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/home/1705...eiver.html
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805351628
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
BobinNC Wrote:I understand your desire to have what you want, but your trying to use the wrong platform in choosing the Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creed as a donor to build a fine 6.5 Grendel. Your biggest problems is the Creedmoor uses a .484" bolt face, and the Grendel uses a .447" bolt face. Opening a bolt face is no problem, but making one smaller takes a bunch of skill, and failure here could lead to problems later.
My recommendation is to sell your Kimber, and buy a trued Remington Model 7 action from PT&G, with the correct .447 boltface (it is an option under their blueprinted actions). Then barrel it, bottom metal it, and stock it in whatever suits your fancy and budget. Another alternative is to buy a new or used Ruger MKII in 7.62x39 (they are rare and command a goodly sum, but they can be found). They already have the correct boltface, flush floorplate and a useable stock. Now you only have to rebarrel one to 6.5 Grendel. There are 3 right now for sale on Gunbroker. I know I thought long and hard recently at going that route to 6.5 Grendel bliss, but alas being retired on fixed income tends to crush hopes and dreams rather fast......
Best of luck, however you go.....IMHO and YMMV
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/home/1705...eiver.html
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805351628
People have been bushing bolt action bolt faces for years.
No reason to sell the rifle and use a diffrent action.
If that was the case then the only 223/556 bolt action rifles would be built on micro actions like the sako, cz and howa mini but yet you see all kinds of standard short action 223/556 bolt action rifles.
I just boggles my mind why so many consider a glorfide 22 rifle ok for a short action but a much better cartridge loaded with much better bullets in 6.5/264 in the grendel case is only deserving of a mini type action.
Dinny, You already know my thoughts on the question at hand but I will repeat it.
It's your money and your wants, post pics and document the journey well so others may use it as a stepping stone for their own build.
Mist importantly rock that bad boy till the cows come home.
Posts: 149
Threads: 15
Joined: Feb 2019
I'm another one that doesn't see the point of this but to each his own. Unless you don't reload, the CM is more capable in every way possible. For reloaders, the CM can be downloaded to match the Grendel in power and recoil but is better suited for a wider range of bullets. Barrel life isn't necessarily shorter because pressure is a big factor there and you can lower the pressure of the CM, but you can't increase the pressure of the Grendel to make it perform like the CM. I'd be very surprised if someone could ever use enough extra powder to make up for the cost of the modification. Obviously, you're mind is made up and hopefully we'll all get to see the results soon enough.
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Joined: Mar 2019
Take that money and go and get another gun. Then all you have to is get it into the house before the wife sees it.
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
papapaul Wrote:Take that money and go and get another gun. Then all you have to is get it into the house before the wife sees it.
Now that's always a good idea.
|