Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Help me plan my build!
#1
So recently I just did my first AR build and well, 5 days later I am starting another. My first build was done for hunting/target. (Which i will be first shooting this weekend)

M4E1 Lower
JMT Trigger
Gen 3 PRS stock

Grendel Hunter 20" upper

NOW....I am ready to build another but for the life of me I can not figure out what. I figure if I go with Grendel when I start reloading it will make life easier without having to buy other die sets and what not. So lets hear some ideas on a build. I am open to ALL suggestions
Reply
#2
12inch ar pistol.
Reply
#3
JAbbott85 Wrote:So recently I just did my first AR build and well, 5 days later I am starting another. My first build was done for hunting/target. (Which i will be first shooting this weekend)

M4E1 Lower
JMT Trigger
Gen 3 PRS stock

Grendel Hunter 20" upper

NOW....I am ready to build another but for the life of me I can not figure out what. I figure if I go with Grendel when I start reloading it will make life easier without having to buy other die sets and what not. So lets hear some ideas on a build. I am open to ALL suggestions

Aero upper, GB barrel, GB bolt, Aero or Stngr or SLR handguard, Superlative arms gas block, Raptor LT charging handle, Spikes melonite gas tube, VG6 Gamma 6.5 muzzle break, and RTB low mass Bolt Carrier.
Reply
#4
LaRue UU kit; hands down, the best suggestion I can give. I'd go short, as you already have your 20". You can also get your Tranquillo 7.62 can with it for $450, unless they've stopped honoring that deal. You need your order number, then call them to order the can. A short upper kit, the can, and the lower build kit. Buy your stripped lower, assemble it with an SBA3, and wham-o! New suppressed pistol build that you hunt with. Get a few more adapters, and now all your 5/8x24 threaded weapons 30 caliber and down can be suppressed.

Through Xmas, every UU gets free assembly included. You cannot beat this deal.

If you still want to build your own, then I still hold to the short pistol upper. A BCM/Aero upper, reputable lower (Anderson/PSA work just fine and are usually cheap), adjustable gas block, good trigger ( the LaRue MBT is also the best deal going - period.), and the SBA3. A good red dot, 1-10, or 4-14 optic, and you're off to the "why-oh-why-didn't-I-go-short-first" races.

Good luck. The fun is in the shooting.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Reply
#5
Kswhitetails Wrote:LaRue UU kit; hands down, the best suggestion I can give. I'd go short, as you already have your 20". You can also get your Tranquillo 7.62 can with it for $450, unless they've stopped honoring that deal. You need your order number, then call them to order the can. A short upper kit, the can, and the lower build kit. Buy your stripped lower, assemble it with an SBA3, and wham-o! New suppressed pistol build that you hunt with. Get a few more adapters, and now all your 5/8x24 threaded weapons 30 caliber and down can be suppressed.

Through Xmas, every UU gets free assembly included. You cannot beat this deal.

If you still want to build your own, then I still hold to the short pistol upper. A BCM/Aero upper, reputable lower (Anderson/PSA work just fine and are usually cheap), adjustable gas block, good trigger ( the LaRue MBT is also the best deal going - period.), and the SBA3. A good red dot, 1-10, or 4-14 optic, and you're off to the "why-oh-why-didn't-I-go-short-first" races.

Good luck. The fun is in the shooting.

We cant use cans here at all. Joys of Delaware. So on my spikes lower i put on a Hera stock and RA 535 trigger and decided to go with a 10.5" 7.62x39 upper. THAT BEING SAID....Now i picked up another lower and want to do a dedicated bench gun for LR Precision. Tomorrow I will get out and shoot my 6.5 grendel hunter and see how it performs, but why not make one strictly for target itself. Lets say a 2500.00 budget without glass.
Reply
#6
Wow, that's two AR's with cash left over. I recently finished a 6.5 Grendel Pistol. Piston driven, 11 inch Alexander Arms barrel, Aero receiver set and BCG, Larue MBT, Strike Rail handguard, SB Tactical SBA3 for under $1100. After building 4 AR's 16 inches or longer this was my 4th AR pistol. I don't hunt and I'm not a sniper in real life. Another 1st Stater
Reply
#7
Jabbot. Seems like you caught black rifle disease and grendel fever at the same time Wink

If your set on doing another grendel, a 12" pistol, the larue kit, a precision Firearms upper, or a Howa mini bolt would be options depending on the type of shooting you prefer. First 2 for quick action type shooting . Second 2 for target/bench long range.

I have a 18" oden works and a gb 12.7 pistol. The 18" is great on the bench chasing the mythical one hole group. But the pistol is just fun to shoot and carry when hunting.

I don't have regular access to a range beyond 200 yards, so I dont need anything more then the 18" can give. but if you feel you need a longer barrel for more velocity, going to a bolt can gain you better coal which will help you as much as the couple inches of barrel.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)